The Student Room Group

Mortgages

Hi,

I am a mature student (21) who is going to Medical school this September - I have about 70k in savings atm and am looking to use these to make my time at uni cost-neutral (Excluding student loan debt)

I was hoping to take out a residential mortgage on a property and then pay the monthly payments using the rent from fellow students I would share the property with (Following maths and research am expecting approx 15k per annum in rent) then use the surplus to live off

The problem is, without a sustained employment income - I can't get a residential mortgage, and I can't get a buy-to-let because I intend to live in the house!!

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Original post by FergieD

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Yes: think again. You'll never get a mortgage without an income from either a job or a proven record of letting properties over several years, unless you can con someone who is in such a position to guarantee it.
Reply 2
Original post by FergieD
Hi,

I am a mature student (21) who is going to Medical school this September - I have about 70k in savings atm and am looking to use these to make my time at uni cost-neutral (Excluding student loan debt)

I was hoping to take out a residential mortgage on a property and then pay the monthly payments using the rent from fellow students I would share the property with (Following maths and research am expecting approx 15k per annum in rent) then use the surplus to live off

The problem is, without a sustained employment income - I can't get a residential mortgage, and I can't get a buy-to-let because I intend to live in the house!!

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

I'd advise you wait til after you've finished university and you know where you'll be working next to buy any property. No point buying a house only to find 5/6 years later that you're moving somewhere else to work. And personally I wouldn't want to rent a house I was living in to students (and I am one!)- many have no idea how to treat a house in terms of being clean and tidy.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
I'd advise you wait til after you've finished university and you know where you'll be working next to buy any property. No point buying a house only to find 5/6 years later that you're moving somewhere else to work. And personally I wouldn't want to rent a house I was living in to students (and I am one!)- many have no idea how to treat a house in terms of being clean and tidy.

My thinking is that in 5/6 years time I can either sell the house (assuming it hasn't lost value) - meaning I've had free accommodation for 5/6 years (bar interest - but even that should be covered by lease income)

Or just start renting in a new place and let the property pay itself off with tenants, and take the value out when the price recovers (if it drops significantly)
Reply 4
Original post by FergieD
My thinking is that in 5/6 years time I can either sell the house (assuming it hasn't lost value) - meaning I've had free accommodation for 5/6 years (bar interest - but even that should be covered by lease income)

Or just start renting in a new place and let the property pay itself off with tenants, and take the value out when the price recovers (if it drops significantly)

Bar stamp duty (if you're thinking you're going to be getting £15k rent it'll be into the stamp duty threshold
Bar solicitors fees
Bar estate agent fees
Bar costs of furnishings
Original post by FergieD

If you have no income where will you have the cash available to pay for repairs and maintenance?

How are you going to ensure the mortgage gets paid if you have a period where not all the rooms are let, or if a tenant starts dropping short on the rent or leaves you out of pocket?

If your answers to these questions are things like

"I'll buy a good and modern property so it won't need much in the way of repairs with 5/6 years of students living in it"

"I'll be careful who I choose as tenants so I can be sure they are trustworthy"

"I'll make sure the rooms are always let"

then a prospective lender is not going to be convinced
Original post by Quady
Bar stamp duty (if you're thinking you're going to be getting £15k rent it'll be into the stamp duty threshold
Bar solicitors fees
Bar estate agent fees
Bar costs of furnishings

At a typical Manchester student rent of £75, you would need seven tenants for a full 30 weeks each to gross £15,000 (from which there are significant costs and deductions). This means (given that it is normal to have a bedroom each, usually with a double bed it seems) having an eight-bedroom house with two or three bathrooms, which would cost a great deal of money. This is not a feasible project, even if a mortgage could be obtained.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
At a typical Manchester student rent of £75, you would need seven tenants for a full 30 weeks each to gross £15,000 (from which there are significant costs and deductions). This means (given that it is normal to have a bedroom each, usually with a double bed it seems) having an eight-bedroom house with two or three bathrooms, which would cost a great deal of money. This is not a feasible project, even if a mortgage could be obtained.

Which private landlord offers 30 week lets? :s-smilie:

Half rent for a couple of months over the summer is common but not universal, I never came accross part year lets.

For a 48 week (effective) let it'd be £78/week for four people.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke

The property in question already has tenants signed until 2015 (5 of them) paying a total of 18k per annum.

My intention was to move in in second year (2015) and sign 4 new tenants on a similar price package.

What I don't get is that If I don't live in the property, and live elsewhere, even without an income I can get a buy-to-let mortgage, it's the fact that I want to live there that seems to be causing a problem.
You can't have a buy to let mortgage cos you don't qualify if you live there. It isn't a problem, it's just the rules.
Original post by FergieD
The property in question already has tenants signed until 2015 (5 of them) paying a total of 18k per annum.

My intention was to move in in second year (2015) and sign 4 new tenants on a similar price package.

What I don't get is that If I don't live in the property, and live elsewhere, even without an income I can get a buy-to-let mortgage, it's the fact that I want to live there that seems to be causing a problem.

the rules are different with a live in landlord. tenants have much less security- you can decide at any point you want to get rid of them, you just need to give some notice. plus the fact they are unlikely to treat the property as you'd want it treated.
Also if tenants stop paying rent it can take months to get them out, all the time you have no income.
Original post by FergieD

That is irrelevant as the business isn't being operated by you. The property in which it is operated isn't the business, the owner and landlord is. You may be incompetent as a landlord and not match the continuing performance of the current landlord.
Getting mortgage without regular income would be very difficult. You are still a student and it would be hard for you to manage a mortgaged residence and study at the same time.

Perth Property Valuers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending