Should I continue to pursue acting or go back to education to study for a stable job?

Watch
WhiteWalker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, so I've been trying to pursue acting for a little while now. I have been in amateur dramatics and a friends student film. I really can't think of anything else other than acting, but here's the thing, I never went to drama school and now I'm really thinking about trying to get into drama school. In the UK it is so diffiult to get anywhere in acting without drama school, and for certain reasons I was unable to go to drama school when I was younger, so this is why I'm thinking strongly about it now.

The other issue is, I'm almost 25 and I'm worried that if I continue to pursue acting, I could end up broke with no stable career. Everyone knows how risky acting is and, now I'm almost 25 and I kind of feel like I need to be realistic at this point in my life. I still really enjoy acting and I don't know if I want to give it up for a normal job/career. I think people in the arts world are fantastic; they really have a positive outlook on life, so to be around those kind of people is something I crave. I've worked in different areas of work and I cannot really relate to "normal" people, if that makes sense lol.
Wolwind
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You always need a back up plan, seems like you don't have one, so you should get that sorted out. Having said that, I'm a firm believer in "go for your dreams or die trying"
ihasaquestion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am in a very similar situation to you.

I'm trying to get into acting myself. I was at uni for a year but I hated it and ended up pulling out. I've been doing amateur dramatics just like you and I've been in a student film too. I came to acting/performing quite late so I didn't go to drama school when I was younger, and my school didn't offer drama/acting a level. I've been applying to drama schools and it is very difficult to get in. I've been successful in getting through to the second/third audition rounds of some very good places and it's so disheartening when you get rejected. I'm waiting to hear back from my last option at the moment.

I'm 21, so younger than you. While if I didn't get in anywhere I would really want to try again considering I did get quite close with some really good places, I will probably go and do a degree in something arts related and apply to post-grad courses when I'm done. This is mainly because I'm worried about being broke and unsuccessful, just like you.

You might want to try applying for drama schools and then if you're unsuccessful you can go through ucas extra/clearing and try and get something else. That's what I'm doing. If you don't go for it, you'll never know. Good luck!
Brighten
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think ultimately only you will be able to weigh it up make this decision. I don't think 25 is particularly old, I'm not in this industry but from what I've read drama schools prefer those who have some life experience rather than those straight from school. Have you been to any auditions, if so how did it go? Can you afford it? Are you eligible for student loans? Are you passionate about acting specifically or do you just want to work in the arts?
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhiteWalker)
Okay, so I've been trying to pursue acting for a little while now. I have been in amateur dramatics and a friends student film. I really can't think of anything else other than acting, but here's the thing, I never went to drama school and now I'm really thinking about trying to get into drama school. In the UK it is so diffiult to get anywhere in acting without drama school, and for certain reasons I was unable to go to drama school when I was younger, so this is why I'm thinking strongly about it now.

The other issue is, I'm almost 25 and I'm worried that if I continue to pursue acting, I could end up broke with no stable career. Everyone knows how risky acting is and, now I'm almost 25 and I kind of feel like I need to be realistic at this point in my life. I still really enjoy acting and I don't know if I want to give it up for a normal job/career. I think people in the arts world are fantastic; they really have a positive outlook on life, so to be around those kind of people is something I crave. I've worked in different areas of work and I cannot really relate to "normal" people, if that makes sense lol.
Go for it. It's a difficult decision to make but you'll regret it if you don't. Drama school is the most secure option if you get in, which is very hard to do, but it's not the only one. If you already have a degree and work experience, use that as your backup plan. Be prepared for the downsides to acting. You basically put your future into someone's hands every time you audition and there will be many times where you feel dejected, but remember that feeling every time you've performed and it's worked out perfectly. If you enjoy it, that's all that should matter.
WhiteWalker
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Brighten)
I think ultimately only you will be able to weigh it up make this decision. I don't think 25 is particularly old, I'm not in this industry but from what I've read drama schools prefer those who have some life experience rather than those straight from school. Have you been to any auditions, if so how did it go? Can you afford it? Are you eligible for student loans? Are you passionate about acting specifically or do you just want to work in the arts?
No, i've heard a similar thing regarding drama school's preference towards the more mature student. I haven't been to any auditions for drama school yet. I am considering applying this year, then seeing how it goes. I would think I am eligible for student loans as I never went to University/a higher education institute of any kind.

I am passionate about acting; it's an area where I am most comfortable. Being famous isn't of interest to me; it's definitely not something I wish to attain. If I could work as a professional actor and earn some kind of living, that is all I would want. Don't get me wrong, I understand how the industry works, and it's not as simple as that.

Every drama school graduate hopes for their big break, whether they're fortunate or not is a different thing entirely. If I was able to get into drama school, I would definitely try and make work for myself. If it meant directing, producing and writing my own stuff, then that would be what I would need to do in order to get myself "out there" so to speak.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed