Gurs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi ladies and gents, I need some answers. I'll be going Uni next year (hopefully Brunel to study Law) but I don't know how to reference. I know what it is and why you need to reference however I don't know any ways of referencing, for example Oxford, Harvard Referencing etc...

When you start Uni, do you get taught how to reference? I checked Brunel and the reference "style" they use is Harvard and two others (forgot which ones). Will we taught these or will I need to learn them before I start? I'm not asking if it's clever to learn them now, I just need to know if we're actually taught or are we expected to know how to reference before we start?

For reference, I'll be doing Law at Brunel or Westminster.

Please can you answer, would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Pocalypse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It only takes ten seconds to learn you lazy bum
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll probably be handed a referencing guide and then told to get on with it.

I use Harvard Referencing, and this is my go-to guide for it http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
Gurs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
You'll probably be handed a referencing guide and then told to get on with it.

I use Harvard Referencing, and this is my go-to guide for it http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
I pretty much understand how to reference but I don't get the cite? I don't know when to cite, is it when I directly quote? And how do I do it?
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gurses)
I pretty much understand how to reference but I don't get the cite? I don't know when to cite, is it when I directly quote? And how do I do it?
You need to cite when you're either using someone else's ideas and when you're directly quoting. So for instance,

1. Sleaze featured heavily in the early stages of the Conservative election campaign of 1997 (Childs, 2012, p. 300).

2. In 1997, "sleaze dominated the early stages of the campaign" (Childs, 2012, p.300) that the Conservatives mounted against New Labour.

In each case, at the end of the essay, you'd have a bibliography - which in this case would say:
Childs, D., 2012. Britain Since 1945: A Political History. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
Gurs
Rep:
?
You need to cite when you're either using someone else's ideas and when you're directly quoting. So for instance,

1. Sleaze featured heavily in the early stages of the Conservative election campaign of 1997 (Childs, 2012, p. 300).

2. In 1997, "sleaze dominated the early stages of the campaign" (Childs, 2012, p.300) that the Conservatives mounted against New Labour.

In each case, at the end of the essay, you'd have a bibliography - which in this case would say:
Childs, D., 2012. Britain Since 1945: A Political History. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
So the bibliography will cover everything (authors, name of book/article and date published) at the end of the assignment whereas the cite is just the author name and the book page (when using someones theory or direct quoting).

Correct?

Thank you so much bro.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gurses)
So the bibliography will cover everything (authors, name of book/article and date published) at the end of the assignment whereas the cite is just the author name and the book page (when using someones theory or direct quoting).

Correct?

Thank you so much bro.
Citation is author(s) surname, year published and page ranges (p. 300 or for a range of pages, pp. 300-302)

Bibliography varies based on the type of source, but the format above is for a physical book. It's different if you're using (say) a journal or a website, but it's all explained on those links I gave you.
Gurs
Rep:
?
Citation is author(s) surname, year published and page ranges (p. 300 or for a range of pages, pp. 300-302)

Bibliography varies based on the type of source, but the format above is for a physical book. It's different if you're using (say) a journal or a website, but it's all explained on those links I gave you.
Thank you very much buddy!
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will be taught this at uni. We have used both Harvard and Vancouver. The uni will probably have subscriptions to paid software that you can use to make it easier for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads