Study leave vs school Watch

PolarBearSlayer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So my school wants to more or less get rid of study leave, but I've got a ton of exams and find a school day usually goes a bit like this : 1) get up a bit late and arrive late in to school (2) go to a lesson where I might learn something with a bit of luck (3) go home and procrastinate till about 7pm as I'm too tired to do anything.

Comparatively, on study leave it's more like: (1) get up a bit later but actually have energy (2) work flat out and study what I personally need to study, and actually learn something (well, a lot). (3) go to bed a bit earlier having worked all through the day and till about 7ish.

If I'm going to do well in my A levels, study leave is more or less a necessity.

Who else shares this sentiment?

PBS

PolarBearSlayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jatz07)
I agree a little bit, we learn a lot in school and ask teachers for any help for certain questions, but once I have finished asking questions and I'm confident on the subjects, I'm going to take 4 days off before my AS exams because I have six AS exams in 1 week, including a clash of core 2 maths and unit 2 history

I do 100% way more work at home than at school
Yeah fair enough - I guess depends on the school too. My school not great so don't tend to get a huge amount out of it. I have 6 in one week too (eek!).

Anyway, good luck with everything!
PolarBearSlayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jatz07)
good luck to you too, what subjects are you doing?

I'm doing biology, chemistry, history, maths
same
Wood123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I couldn't agree more! My school gives year 11 students study leave but not A level students? This makes no sense to me as we have a lot more to learn for our exams and personally coming into school for revision doesn't help me much as there's always distractions, my friends and I especially just cannot get work done when we're together.
I think its better to be left alone to revise in the comfort of our own homes, that way we're doing things in a way we like and we're getting a good amount of sleep😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm annoyed with my sixth form's study leave too! Study leave starts a week after the exams have started, and on that first week of exams I have 5 exams. When study leave starts, I only have one exam to do... I think the organisers of sixth form think going in is helpful, but when the exams are so close, I personally find it so much easier to revise at home and I have more time to get through everything.

Apparently for A2 students study leave starts at the same time as AS students so for A2 they have a week or two off before their exams start (since most are apparently in June?) but that puts AS students at a disadvantage - we get less study leave and most our exams are over by the time it starts. It's irritating, I don't understand why sixth form organisers don't understand this when people tell them!
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's better to have study leave because the time it takes me to get to school and back I would have wasted 3 or so hours. I would probably have more distractions at school to be honest
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Study leave is definitely necessary. At school you sit there for hours just to be lectured about stuff you already understand when you could be at home revising the stuff you aren't as confident on!
Lauren___e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find study leave essential as I just can't bring myself to revise in school despite having 2+ hours of frees a day usually. When I'm at home I can revise the topics I need to, do past paper and if I get stuck then I can email a teacher asking to meet with them to go through the things I'm stuck on. It's really the only way I revise well

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (53)
67.95%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
20.51%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.54%

Watched Threads