The Student Room Group

FSMQ Question

I know this question looks really easy, but I can never seem to get the right answer 😭, OK here goes:

Question: John drives along a straight motorway at a constant speed for 120 kilometres. The next day he completes the same journey travelling at 10 km/h faster. He completes this journey in 10 minutes less than the first journey. Find the two speeds at which he travelled.

N.B. The answer you SHOULD get is 80 km/h and 90 km/h

Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Brainiac_98
I know this question looks really easy, but I can never seem to get the right answer ������, OK here goes:

Question: John drives along a straight motorway at a constant speed for 120 kilometres. The next day he completes the same journey travelling at 10 km/h faster. He completes this journey in 10 minutes less than the first journey. Find the two speeds at which he travelled.

N.B. The answer you SHOULD get is 80 km/h and 90 km/h

Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The distance each time was 120km. Say the first day's speed was v_1, so v_1 = 120/t_1. The second day's speed was v_1+10 ("10 km/h faster"), and v_1+10 = 120/(t_1-10), since t_2 = t_1 - 10 ("ten minutes less than the first journey").
Solve those two simultaneous equations.

EDIT: Ah, the second 10 should be 1/6, as brianeverit points out below.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Soz, I've tried, but I really don't seem to be able to get to the answer, if u could possibly show me how you would get to the answer, then I'd be really grateful :smile:
Soz, I've tried, but I really don't seem to be able to get to the answer, if u could possibly show me how you would get to the answer, then I'd be really grateful :smile:

Set up your equations and solve simultaneously.

Smaug has already given the equations so all you need to do is solve them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
And I said that I tried, but I seem to be getting every answer BUT 80 & 90km/h so that's why I asked for his method...
Reply 5
And I said that I tried, but I seem to be getting every answer BUT 80 & 90km/h so that's why I asked for his method...

Can you demonstrate how?
Original post by Smaug123
Can you demonstrate how?

Smaug is correct except for saying t_2=t_1-10, it should be t_2=t_1-1/6.
You cannot mix speed in km/h and time in minutes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by brianeverit
Smaug is correct except for saying t_2=t_1-10, it should be t_2=t_1-1/6.
You cannot mix speed in km/h and time in minutes.

Aargh, I always hated those questions whose main component is making sure you aren't tricked by the malicious question-writers :frown:
Reply 8
Ahhhh, thank you! That's what was the problem, got the right answer now!
Ahhhh, thank you! That's what was the problem, got the right answer now!

Glad to help.

Quick Reply

Latest