Is this legal? Watch

Gwalchgwyn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, i've organised a gig and want to advertise it on facebook. The bands name headlining the gig has an affiliation with a magician, and so as an advertising technique, i want to post silhouettes of famous magicians and start a "guess the person" contest. If you guess correctly, you have a chance of winning free tickets to the gig.

I'm sure i've heard that using a living persons' image or likeness to promote or advertise a product gives them grounds to sue you a **** load. I'm also pretty sure its illegal unless they're dead.

Any thoughts?
Клейтон
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, only if they have some sort of contract with a brand already that somehow puts an injunction on everyone else from using their likeness for promotional purposes I think, but that might be if the brand they're with is using their likeness with their permission already.
Rodderrrrrs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe that is true!
Gwalchgwyn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Клейтон)
Yeah, only if they have some sort of contract with a brand already that somehow puts an injunction on everyone else from using their likeness for promotional purposes I think, but that might be if the brand they're with is using their likeness with their permission already.
You mean you can't use someones likeness to advertise if someone else already is? Thats crazy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads