The Student Room Group

do you sometimes consider ditching your parents?

My parents constantly put me down and criticise me. They also never help me if I have a problem for example when I first became unemployed they called me a loser etc. They insult me etc. However they also do a lot for me financially and are nice to me other times. Sometimes I wonder how close I will be to them when I am older and it makes me feel guilty but sometimes I wonder if I will even speak to them at all. Does anyone else have these thoughts?
Do your parents put down, criticise and insult other people in their lives (friends, colleagues, other family members, etc)?

If they do, they're still probably bad people, but at least they're not targeting you specifically. That they treat you badly says nothing about you, only about them.

If not, they are simply abusing your dependence on them to treat you in a way that they themselves know is unacceptable. I would try raising the issue with them and setting boundaries i.e. "I will not allow you to treat me like this". If that doesn't work, spending less time with them is the only solution.
Original post by Anonymous
My parents constantly put me down and criticise me. They also never help me if I have a problem for example when I first became unemployed they called me a loser etc. They insult me etc. However they also do a lot for me financially and are nice to me other times. Sometimes I wonder how close I will be to them when I am older and it makes me feel guilty but sometimes I wonder if I will even speak to them at all. Does anyone else have these thoughts?

Oh I feel your pain. It's mainly my mum that's the problem but my Dad is a **** too. Once I finish college its hasta la vista baby :wink:
Sometimes I feel this too. I just feel that my parents' views on life are so backwards sometimes that they stop me from doing what I want to do. The only reason I haven't left yet is because I would feel bad that they have given me so much since birth, and I just turn around and say bye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending