barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Love or loathe his views, his commitment throughout his life to what he believed in is a contrast with many of today's career politicians.

Thoughts with his family as they mourn.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Blimey, really not the Left's week.

I remember first encountering Tony Benn while watching BBC News. The footage is now quite well-known and it involved him overruling the presenter by broadcasting the details of the Gaza appeal. How could one not be won over by his insistence for what he believed was right (as well as that charming old-world, fudge-chew accent).
SoggyTractor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RIP Tony Benn. He took up valuable space in my history text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Taught me much about democracy, but actions speak louder than words. His support for the Communist revolutionary Militant tendency in the 80's was an utter disgrace.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
spooky
Genocidal
Report 6 years ago
Boris Johnson's at it again!
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This week has been like a giant blue punch to the gut

Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Saddest news I have heard in a long time. Most inspiring politician that has ever lived. Really upset to hear this. It's brought a tear to my eye.

The weirdest thing is that I had a really emotional dream about Tony Benn last night. It sounds ridiculous and I'm not a superstitious person, but it had a dream that I met him and immediately and hugged him - then I started crying and become really emotional whilst hugging him for some reason. I've never had a dream about Tony Benn before, let alone one that emotional. I've woken up to find this out. Really weird. It's actually shook me up quite a bit.

RIP Tony Benn

DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

One of our greatest modern politicians.
Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arson_fire)
I hated him, and everything he stood for, with a passion. Having said that, he was one of the rare breed of politicians who actually stood up for what he believed in rather than what he thought the electorate wanted to hear.
You 'hated' him? That's a very distasteful thing to say. Hating everything he stood for is a completely different thing.
MostUncivilised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I met him once and he was a charming man, an excellent speaker. He had a fantastic sense of parliamentary occasion, it's really worthwhile watching this video of a speech he made on the election of Betty Boothroyd as Speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EETNFIzrY&t=15m43s

Having said that, he was disastrous for the Labour Party, He had a slightly destructive streak in his personality, along with a kind of insoucient naivete that whenever he did something for what he believed were the right reasons, it must be right. His running against Denis Healey for the Deputy Leader position came close to destroying the party. See below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ITCj38dLgk&t=2m57s
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RIP Viscount Stansgate.

Wonder who will be next.... D. Skinner ?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Blimey, really not the Left's week.

I remember first encountering Tony Benn while watching BBC News. The footage is now quite well-known and it involved him overruling the presenter by broadcasting the details of the Gaza appeal. How could one not be won over by his insistence for what he believed was right (as well as that charming old-world, fudge-chew accent).
I never new the guy but from video I am sure he was great guy.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Despite personal politics which I don't always agree with, the man's involvement in the Concorde programme (principally writing a contract so tough that no UK Gov could back out of it) means he'll forever be a hero to me. The greatest feat in aviation owes a lot to that man.
LickingCarpet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RIP a great politician and more importantly a great man
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
RIP Viscount Stansgate.
You are a cruel soul!
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rest in peace.

A very inspirational man, even if I didn't agree with all his politics. It was a shame, in his most recent interviews despite not losing his wit you could see that he was deteriorating. Labour has lost one of their greats.
TheDimpleboy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
R.I.P
usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
Saddest news I have heard in a long time. Most inspiring politician that has ever lived. Really upset to hear this. It's brought a tear to my eye.

The weirdest thing is that I had a really emotional dream about Tony Benn last night. It sounds ridiculous and I'm not a superstitious person, but it had a dream that I met him and immediately and hugged him - then I started crying and become really emotional whilst hugging him for some reason. I've never had a dream about Tony Benn before, let alone one that emotional. I've woken up to find this out. Really weird. It's actually shook me up quite a bit.

RIP Tony Benn

I think you're in love with him
Marcum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What an exceptional statesman he was. We should not write 'rest in peace' and just forget about the ideas he spread. As the left, we should rekindle his spirit and champion our causes with more passion than we ever have before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads