Can someone, anyone explain to me in simple terms... Watch

sophieleannexo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The parties. Whether they are left wing, right wing or centralist & what they believe in. A module for university on my Social Work course requires us to have a political view. I feel that I am left wing (but slightly moving to a centralist view).

Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Comus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sophieleannexo)
The parties. Whether they are left wing, right wing or centralist & what they believe in. A module for university on my Social Work course requires us to have a political view. I feel that I am left wing (but slightly moving to a centralist view).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Traditionally Labour was a centre-left party, the Liberal Democrats a centrist party and the Conservatives a centre-right party. However, after Thatcher the inter-party consensus moved rightwards and since Blair all three parties have converged around the "new" centre.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd suggest having a look at the websites of all the significant parties (Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, UKIP) and seeing what their policies are.

You may also like to use the political compass (to work out your left / right and authoritarian / libertarian tendencies) http://www.politicalcompass.org/ and ISideWith to work out which party you're aligned with http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sophieleannexo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a simple level:

Conservative Party - right of centre
Liberal Democrats - centre
Labour - left of centre

There are also nationalist parties like the SNP (Scotland) and Plaid Cymru (Wales) and some smaller parties.

It's harder to say now where exactly each party sits on the left/right spectrum than it used to be though. For example, during the Blair/Brown years, Labour moved strongly to the right of centre. The Conservative Party is sometimes now claiming to have left of centre policies and to be motivated by social equality, which used to be seen as the preserve of the left.

It can be hard to find out in detail what each party currently thinks when there isn't an imminent election. The parties publish new and revised policies just before elections. As the general election draws closer, you can watch out for the main media sites to offer pages like this one from the BBC, which they did in the 2010 election, which lay out all the party policies in easy to read snippets.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8515961.stm
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Comus)
Traditionally Labour was a centre-left party, the Liberal Democrats a centrist party and the Conservatives a centre-right party. However, after Thatcher the inter-party consensus moved rightwards and since Blair all three parties have converged around the "new" centre.
This.

There's very little conviction politics any more in the Parliamentary system now, it's all about voting demographics and using PR to suggest differences that either are not there or are relatively slight. I think we're also going the way of America where lobbying, especially of big business, will represent an increasingly strengthening force in determining policy.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
This.

There's very little conviction politics any more in the Parliamentary system now, it's all about voting demographics and using PR to suggest differences that either are not there or are relatively slight. I think we're also going the way of America where lobbying, especially of big business, will represent an increasingly strengthening force in determining policy.
Welcome to the plutocracy!

*sigh*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (499)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.15%
No- I want it (237)
28.38%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads