The Student Room Group

Can you study with music on?

I've noticed most people in the library tend to have earphones in. I've never been able to do this, I just can't take in what I'm reading. I have them in at the moment, only because there's two people near me who won't stop talking about I thought it might be less distracting but it's about on par. :angry:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't study without it.
Technically I can, but I don't because my brain doesn't take in the music so there's no point.
Depends, if the song has no words to it and it's quite calming music, like classical or M83 then I can otherwise I find it a real distraction. Listening to music without any lyrics has actually been proven to help you revise more effectively. :smile:
I use music to block out the sounds around me and usually I get mega bored of revision if I don't listen to anything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm too much of a foreground music listener. Music to me isn't just surface level euphonic noise used to break silence, I get too involved in the track and that distracts from my study.
Reply 6
I listen to music when I'm studying, I just find I get more done, probably because it blocks out any distractions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I don't like to study without it. I'm not at uni but I do a lot of work and studying at home at the moment, and I have to have music on in the background to keep me focused. That said, I can work and study without it, but when I can have music on, I do.
Reply 8
Not me. I end up singing along with the song and forget what i've just read.
Reply 9
Sometimes. It's like a surgeon sometimes plays Classical music whilst operating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yes, keeps me focused! I'd be lost without it...and not just in terms of studying. I tend to listen to quite a variety though.
Reply 11
I always have my headphones in. It blocks out the distractions which is needed in my house where you can't sit anywhere without them. No desk in my room as I share and it's not got the room, the living room has a desk but my siblings are always in there with the tv on, and the conservatory/kitchen tv is always on because of my parents. So I have to sit with my back to the tv with music on to actually be able to concentrate at all.
There is scientific research on this. Apparently nearly all music is a distraction. Except Baroque oddly enough :wink:
Reply 13
Only if there aren't any lyrics in the song. House music is a preference.
Reply 14
Original post by Airfairy
I've noticed most people in the library tend to have earphones in. I've never been able to do this, I just can't take in what I'm reading. I have them in at the moment, only because there's two people near me who won't stop talking about I thought it might be less distracting but it's about on par. :angry:

Basic stuff like copying out notes or working through simple problems, yes. But if you actually have to think hard about something, no. The music has to be turned off.

Its the same with anything, if I'm driving through snow and I really need to concentrate to keep the car on the road I turn the radio off then as well.

I think a lot of people kid themselves when they say music helps them study. What they mean is, they prefer listening to music to actually working hard.
Reply 15
Attention immediately drops with any music on or distracting sounds.

When people say they like to study with music on I find it completely bizarre. By definition you're adding a sensory input to your brain that functions to draw focus away from what you're doing. Effective revision requires effort and is active; music impairs this.
Yes
Reply 17
Never i don't think so. I could do maths with music on.
Reply 18
It is rather impossible to maintain my concentration and comprehension whilst listening to music. I am amazed there are people capable of that, it must be fun :tongue:
I usually pick instrumentals and play them really loud to block out sound!!!

Quick Reply

Latest