What's more important: quality of education or motivation? Watch

shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There have been a few threads lately on the topic of quality of education.

But what do people think is a more important factor in a student's performance? A high quality teaching environment or a motivated student?

Obviously a combination of the two is preferable, but would a student be more likely to get good grades if they are lazy with great teachers or highly motivated with lazy teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username418231
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both.
shooks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dee Leigh)
Both.
Yep, hence this line; "Obviously a combination of the two is preferable..."
muf_mur
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
motivation...a highly motivated student will go to extreme lengths to learn stuff and succeed on way or the other
Noddy3.141592654
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation. A person's motivation may not drive the school's quality of education but it certainly will improve your own quality of education (increased self study)
Goods
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
motivation, I go to a very good school and there are some people who get terrible grades despite having fantastic teachers because they cant be bothered to work.
shooks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Goods)
motivation, I go to a very good school and there are some people who get terrible grades despite having fantastic teachers because they cant be bothered to work.
Do you think the level of study makes a difference? We had some great teachers at my school and I reckon they carried some fairly lazy students through GCSEs (mainly the coursework-focused ones, to be fair). A-levels, however, was a very different matter.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation.
SoggyTractor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shooks)

But what do people think is a more important factor in a student's performance? A high quality teaching environment or a motivated student?

Obviously a combination of the two is preferable, but would a student be more likely to get good grades if they are lazy with great teachers or highly motivated with lazy teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would they be highly motivated if they had lazy teachers? Students aren't motivated by textbooks or their friends, they're enthused if their teacher has banter. If, on the flip side, they have great teachers, then a lack of motivation on their part is a problem of general laziness.

Of course, it depends how you define 'a great teacher' (funny or a good teacher?) and it depends how you define a 'motivated student'. I'm not motivated - I rarely contribute in class and loathe all my lessons. But I work hard independently and get good grades because I have to.

So, for me, it seems like you can't have one factor without the other.
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely quality...if I like my teachers work and THIER quality was nice and enjoyable. Would I not learn more and understand topics more easily? And therefore pass...

Even if I was motivated IMO but I had a bad teacher, apwho confused us, marked my coursework down and didn't give feedback. No matter how motivated I am. The end result is the teachers marking.....if THIER quality is poor. I can't so anything. IMO
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think motivation would be better, I go to a grammar school and I would say the people who get the bad grades are the ones that don't put the effort in because they're not motivated
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it depends a little on natural intelligence.
someone naturally very intelligent can be quite unmotivated and succeed with good or even average teachers.
But someone naturally below average intelligence will probably struggle withou a good teacher because motivation can't actually teach you, and a teacher will be much better than a textbook or the internet at explaining complex concepts in a way that suits the individual student.

If we could choose only good teachers or motivated students, I'd go for the latter because it will be more beneficial for more students.

But obviously as OP said, both are desirable.
Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation.

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence.
Abigail Adams

The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives.
Robert M. Hutchins

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
Mark Twain

and probably the most suited to answer your question.

The most valuable of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it has to be done, whether you like it or not.
Aldous Huxley
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation. It will only drive you to prove that you can do better than your school lets on.
Bloxorus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation.

If you went to the worst school in the world, you'd still be able to go home and teach yourself the content you need to know and do well. If you went best school in the world and didn't listen to a word the teachers say you'd flunk all your exams.
SoggyTractor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're all kind of missing a key point..

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shooks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
motivation- teachers can teach well all they want but coursework/exam revision e.c.t doesn't do itself
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation. You can do well with **** teachers and good motivation but not with great teachers and no motivation.
goldenshades
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely motivation, so the student would be interested to work hard enough to achieve the highest they can.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Motivation is terribly overrated. It's all good and dandy to say that a student will do well if they put their minds to it but there are reasons why certain students feel more motivated to do well than others. A student in a high quality environment is much better suited to progressing academically than a student without one. It's why the averages are much higher for better schools despite there being very lazy students everywhere.

People burn out, lose interest or even still do poorly because they've been misinformed due to a low quality school. Nor should we ignore the influence teachers can have in discouraging students or encouraging them. Not everyone has a burning desire to prove everyone wrong. Even so, what happens when they try their best but don't prove the naysayer wrong? It'll affect them negatively when they leave schooling or move into a higher state of education.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (154)
51.85%
No (143)
48.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed