European businesses? Watch

NatashaLee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, wasn't sure where best to ask for help in relation to this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place

But my assignment for my international business module is to look at a business operating within the EU and look at how management strategy may be modified by EU policies

But I'm not sure what business to do, I want a business which is fairly known so that I can get some good information on it, and also needs to be in the EU. I did start with Santander but found it difficult finding and talking about policies relating to their industry. Any suggestions?
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How about one of the big GM companies, or Big Pharma companies? They both interact a lot with EU policies. Or you could think about the relationship between the EU and mobile phone giants, they have have come under a lot of pressure from the EU over pricing in recent years.
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
Fullofsurprises - Thanks for your reply!
It's very helpful and has made me think, maybe Thornton & Ross, they're a pharmaceutical company in the UK, who have recently been taken over by a German company. I'm going to try look into the policies i could relate to them and how this would effect their strategy, and hopefully i will find some useful information. If not though, I may look into a car company instead
NatashaLee
Rep:
?
Okay so I didn't find it the easiest task finding policies and being able to relate them to management strategy for Thornton and Ross
So I've changed my mind (I really must stop it now, I haven't got long left to write it) But I'm thinking of doing either First Group (bus company) or National Express and talking about

- Social and employment Policies (health & Safety, Gender Equality, Working Hours)
- Transport Policies
- Competition Polices (If I can can relate it)
- and maybe Climate Change Policies (emissions and such)

I'll probably go with National Express, just because it's bigger and operates nationally, rather than First who only operate in a few cities.

If anyone's reading this, do you think that it's an alright idea?
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NatashaLee)
Okay so I didn't find it the easiest task finding policies and being able to relate them to management strategy for Thornton and Ross
So I've changed my mind (I really must stop it now, I haven't got long left to write it) But I'm thinking of doing either First Group (bus company) or National Express and talking about

- Social and employment Policies (health & Safety, Gender Equality, Working Hours)
- Transport Policies
- Competition Polices (If I can can relate it)
- and maybe Climate Change Policies (emissions and such)

I'll probably go with National Express, just because it's bigger and operates nationally, rather than First who only operate in a few cities.

If anyone's reading this, do you think that it's an alright idea?
Look at EU companies, forget UK companies as they aren't under as much pressure to fulfill what the EU wants also the UK tends to do quite well with their own interpretation of EU law.

I'd also point out that your brief states EU companies and you're looking at National Express a British company with minimal operations within the EU, it's always best to go for an non-British company from what I remember of my International Business course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (68)
8.03%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (313)
36.95%
No, I am unable to (212)
25.03%
No, I chose not to (231)
27.27%