The Student Room Group

extra personal statement ??

so i applied for another course ad i need to change my personal statement to apply for the extra course

of course extra is only for one uni
so do i write the personal state addressing that one university i am applying to or do i keep open like 'i have looked around many universities and enjoy the blabla available for this course''

rather than

'i have been to bla bla university and like how bla bla university maintain bla bla '
thanks loads
Reply 1
Just keep to the standard PS and talk about how you became interested in the subject so 'my interest in xxx derive from... ' or whatever is probably the most professional way to start a PS. I would personally refrain from specific name calling like 'I feel Birmingham have the perfect modules...'

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't mention the name of a University in you PS unless it's to say that you went there for some kind of educational activity during your previous education - some kind of reachout scheme maybe. If you mention 1 uni, it looks like you favour that one, and admissions tutors at the others may discount you for it. Worse, some admissions tutors at that university may treat you differently, and not in a good way, for it - remember, they can't see where else you've applied, or even, iirc, whether you've applied elsewhere.

If you are applying for a different course at this one institution, either ask their admissions service if you can send a separate personal statement by post or email for their consideration, or word your personal statement generally so that it remains as relevant as possible to all courses. I applied for a mix of Law with German, and European Law courses, the difference between these being whether I studied "German" as a language/literature course, or German Law. Thankfully it made very little difference to the contect of my PS, but I still had to be careful not to make it seem like I was applying specifically for one type and not the other.
Reply 3
i just want to make clear

that you guys know that EXTRA is applyiing to only one university.

by the looks of your response it looks like you think more than 1 uni will be reading my ps

just wondering
Reply 4
Original post by Tishax2
i just want to make clear

that you guys know that EXTRA is applyiing to only one university.

by the looks of your response it looks like you think more than 1 uni will be reading my ps

just wondering

Yeah it's just a more of a matter of professionalism if anything.

Universities will know what facilities they have, modules they offer etc but they won't know you as a person :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending