I got into all the top notch schools.. now which one do I choose!? HELP! Please :)

Watch
cheesebelly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm new to this forum so I am not quite sure if this is in the right category; however, I do need a bit of help! I have done my fair share of research concerning ALL of these universities, and, well... they're all great! Now I am having a bit of trouble deciding which one to go to. I love each and every program and what it has to offer. I am from New York and am unfamiliar with England/London, so any advice would be welcomed

Alright, so... about me: I am an American (female) student who has applied and got accepted to the following programs (in no particular order):

University of Edinburgh - MSc International Relations of the Middle East with Arabic (2 Years)
UCL - MSc Global Governance and Ethics
King's College - MA Middle Eastern & Mediterranean Studies
SOAS - MSc Middle Eastern Politics

Now, I'm very interested in Middle Eastern Politics and affairs if you couldn't tell. I'm also big into International Relations and Diplomacy as well. I hope to enter the field of either academia or diplomacy. Ideally, I would like to work abroad. I'm not opposed to the NGO track, either; however, I definitely (probably) will be returning to the US for quite some time after my studies.

Any info on the pros and cons of each school would be great - mainly its reputation, prestige, etc. and which offer YOU personally would take! Like I said, all programs appeal to me and I am having a difficult time settling on just one! I will say, though, that I am leaning a bit towards SOAS...

Please help me out I really, really appreciate it!

Vort
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my opinon as an international student, in terms of general prestige (Not taking into account their quality in specializations)

UCL> Edinburgh/KCL > SOAS

From what you have said,
I take it that UCL's program is the one that least suits your specialization.

Edinburgh's program is for 2 years, you have to access whether that is a good thing.

SOAS is probably the most suited in terms of specialization for you.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
cheesebelly
Rep:
?
Thank you! As of right now, I have accepted SOAS. I think in terms of specialization, like you said, this will probably be the best bet.

Of course, more opinions are welcome as I still have a bit of time to decide for the other schools. SOAS had a fairly quick time as how long I had to wait to give them a decision so that's why I jumped the gun and accepted so far.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with the first person in terms of the prestige list.

If you want to potentially go into international relations re: the Middle East, learning Arabic would be a fantastic asset. It would make you much more employable for starters. You could probably take up Arabic anyway at the other Universities (SOAS are famous for obscure language courses so I'd be surprised if they didn't have Arabic which is a major language!) but personally I would take that into consideration.

So I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to go for prestige, then I would pick UCL. But you have to take into account what you want to do with it afterwards as well and job prospects.

You also have to consider that of course Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and not actually in England at all. UCL and SOAS are virtually on top of each other, geographically, and Kings isn't far away, so all three of your other choices are in London. It's obviously a very different experience being a student in London vs. Edinburgh, so you'd also have to think what you want to get out of that experience.
cheesebelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by seaholme)

If you want to potentially go into international relations re: the Middle East, learning Arabic would be a fantastic asset. It would make you much more employable for starters. You could probably take up Arabic anyway at the other Universities (SOAS are famous for obscure language courses so I'd be surprised if they didn't have Arabic which is a major language!) but personally I would take that into consideration.

So I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to go for prestige, then I would pick UCL. But you have to take into account what you want to do with it afterwards as well and job prospects.

You also have to consider that of course Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and not actually in England at all. UCL and SOAS are virtually on top of each other, geographically, and Kings isn't far away, so all three of your other choices are in London. It's obviously a very different experience being a student in London vs. Edinburgh, so you'd also have to think what you want to get out of that experience.
Agreed! I don't mind being in Scotland. Their program really appeals to me, just two years is a bit "merp" in my opinion. Even though prestige is awesome, I just don't think I'm willing to forgo my passion which is why I eliminated UCL off the bat. For King's, it's an MA program and I really wanted an MSc program. This leaves Edinburgh and SOAS!

In terms of life plans, I'm planning either to take the diplomat/U. N. Route, or the academia route. Does anybody know the prestige of SOAS overseas in terms of diplomacy, etc? I know the school has produced several prominent figures, but it's always good to have a second opinion

Thanks all!
Vort
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seaholme)

Yup. 3 of them will be almost the same in terms of living etc. That is another factor.
username1341660
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
KCL!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zefiros
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just curious: You are an American calling all these universities 'top notch'. Are they actually seen as such in the US or is it your personal idea?
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zefiros)
Just curious: You are an American calling all these universities 'top notch'. Are they actually seen as such in the US or is it your personal idea?
Yeah I don't think they are being seen as 'top notch', let alone 'all the top notch schools'.
tmuk1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am an international student and I intend to do my postgraduate studies in film and television production in the UK.

I have applied to about six universities in the UK for postgraduate studies and have received conditional offers from all! Now I'm confused as to which to pick! My options are :

Falmouth University - MA Film and television production
Kingston University - MA film making
University of Bedfordshire - MA creative digital film making
Leeds Metropolitan - MA Film making
University of York - MA digital film and television production
University of Newcastle - MA film: theory and practice

Please do let me know which university is good for the course as well as where job prospects are better!

euphorie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tmuk1)
I am an international student and I intend to do my postgraduate studies in film and television production in the UK.

I have applied to about six universities in the UK for postgraduate studies and have received conditional offers from all! Now I'm confused as to which to pick! My options are :

Falmouth University - MA Film and television production
Kingston University - MA film making
University of Bedfordshire - MA creative digital film making
Leeds Metropolitan - MA Film making
University of York - MA digital film and television production
University of Newcastle - MA film: theory and practice

Please do let me know which university is good for the course as well as where job prospects are better!

You should go with either York or Newcastle. Do not even consider the others.
polscistudent88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cheesebelly)
Hi!

I'm new to this forum so I am not quite sure if this is in the right category; however, I do need a bit of help! I have done my fair share of research concerning ALL of these universities, and, well... they're all great! Now I am having a bit of trouble deciding which one to go to. I love each and every program and what it has to offer. I am from New York and am unfamiliar with England/London, so any advice would be welcomed

Alright, so... about me: I am an American (female) student who has applied and got accepted to the following programs (in no particular order):

University of Edinburgh - MSc International Relations of the Middle East with Arabic (2 Years)

Now, I'm very interested in Middle Eastern Politics and affairs if you couldn't tell. I'm also big into International Relations and Diplomacy as well. I hope to enter the field of either academia or diplomacy. Ideally, I would like to work abroad. I'm not opposed to the NGO track, either; however, I definitely (probably) will be returning to the US for quite some time after my studies.

Any info on the pros and cons of each school would be great - mainly its reputation, prestige, etc. and which offer YOU personally would take! Like I said, all programs appeal to me and I am having a difficult time settling on just one! I will say, though, that I am leaning a bit towards SOAS...

If you are into ME Politics and Affairs, UCL, as you said, is not the right program for you. In terms of prestige I think that SOAS will have an incredible reputation (internationally) among those that pursued area studies programs or closely related ones. Overall, instead, I think Edinburgh's reputation will be much higher. Probably, also King's. If money is not an issue I would also consider that a two-years program might be much better, especially if you want to study arabic and have not a good language command already (it is not the kind of language you can learn in one year... not even in two, but at least you would end up with a fairly better knowledge after an additional year). Plus, I think there is also the option to study in a Middle Eastern country for a period within Edi's MSc. And looking at SOAS vs. Edi course structures, it seems that Edi's one offers more options in IR, while SOAS is more of an area studies program (which might be better for you, but this is something you need to consider). Hope this helps.
LilyLouise2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cheesebelly)
Hi!

Where did you choose in the end? I'm having similar dilemmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads