Is psychology bull****?

Watch
Zedboy97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I studied psychology for six lessons when starting college. After just six lessons, I quit, I was sick to the bone (or mind) of the constant Freudian crap that the teacher kept spouting. The books I read on psychology all went along similar lines of dreams, subconscious and sex-drive. The three main parts of a mind. I am just wondering how a subject like psychology exists in the modern world with its almost mystic guess work?
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only the majority of it.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Derren Brown tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, Psychology has its own merits. Though, I would never rate it above Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology
Zedboy97
Rep:
?
(Original post by majmuh24)
Derren Brown tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL
Philbert
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, a lot of the studies nowadays use only students as subjects. Think of that what you will.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zedboy97)
LOL
That guy scares me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is a definite problem with publication bias within psychology. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's all crap, only that a lot of results can't easily be replicated.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Derren Brown tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a lad. I'm terrified he could make me murder someone though :lol:
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
What a lad. I'm terrified he could make me murder someone though :lol:
I've read his books and the stuff he says in them seems very scientific, but I expect there is some trickery involved. Still need to watch that one :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mynameisntbobk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Advice on everyday issues'

Very relevant
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've read his books and the stuff he says in them seems very scientific, but I expect there is some trickery involved. Still need to watch that one :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think some of the stuff only works on people who are particularly 'weka minded' and believe what he is going to do will work.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
'Advice on everyday issues'

Very relevant
It is if you study psychology. People must tell then it's bull**** everyday :lol:
mynameisntbobk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
It is if you study psychology. People must tell then it's bull**** everyday :lol:

:lol: very true!
Though I've got to say that I don't think there's anything wrong with the subject
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
:lol: very true!
Though I've got to say that I don't think there's anything wrong with the subject
I think a lot of it is pseudoscience but there is also some which is useful.
mightyfrog2_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree Freud is full of s*** but Psychology gets really interesting at A2, for example learning cognitive and biological explanations of Schizophrenia, the psychological therapies used to treat Sz, learning about ECT and neural and social psychological explanations of Aggression I found very interesting..
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Modern neuropsychology, no. Psychiatric Freudian rubbish, yes.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alow)
I think some of the stuff only works on people who are particularly 'weka minded' and believe what he is going to do will work.
Yeah, there is a certain amount of subjectivity and it only fully works on people who are quite susceptible to hypnosis/other stuff anyway apparently.
alow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, there is a certain amount of subjectivity and it only fully works on people who are quite susceptible to hypnosis/other stuff anyway apparently.
At the beginning of his shows he usually does stuff to test for that and picks a couple of people out of a large group. Probably not that many people can actually be manipulated to that extent by someone they've only just met.
Zedboy97
Rep:
?
Given the weak foundations upon which psychology is based, owing to the nature of the human mind. Should it be given so much importance? What makes psychology superior to other 'mickey mouse' courses ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (90)
64.75%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.25%

Watched Threads