The Student Room Group

Language students at leeds and newcastle needed

I'm really confused. I have loved History since I was a really little kid, and yet I also adore learning German. I have applied to study History on the bases that I am not keen on analysing literature and films and such, and therefore were anxious to go join honours, as I prefer using my language practically. Now I am worried that I have picked the wrong course, and I should have picked joint German and History because I will really miss doing German and I really don't want to lose it after 7 years learning it. Is there any other way I can maintain my competence in German without going joint honours. Alternatively, can anybody tell me the kind of things you learn in a joint honours German course at university??? Please help me...
Original post by Becca_Boo
I'm really confused. I have loved History since I was a really little kid, and yet I also adore learning German. I have applied to study History on the bases that I am not keen on analysing literature and films and such, and therefore were anxious to go join honours, as I prefer using my language practically. Now I am worried that I have picked the wrong course, and I should have picked joint German and History because I will really miss doing German and I really don't want to lose it after 7 years learning it. Is there any other way I can maintain my competence in German without going joint honours. Alternatively, can anybody tell me the kind of things you learn in a joint honours German course at university??? Please help me...

I won't go on about joint honours as I'm a Modern Languages student at Newcastle (French, German and Japanese).
But further to what was said above...

Here's a link to the modules for languages
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/t901/modules/

and you don't have to do a straight 60-60 split for Combined Honours. You can choose to do a major/minor route and split 80-40. That way you get the same amount of language as single honours students but you do less of the culture, making it even easier to avoid film and literature (although that is still possible on a 60-60 split).

That would mean that you'd do 20 credits of German language and 20 credits of German "culture". As the poster above said - cultural modules includes German history. It also includes linguistics and the study of the Dutch language in second and fourth year.
So it would be really easy for you to avoid Literature and Film studies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sophia5892
I won't go on about joint honours as I'm a Modern Languages student at Newcastle (French, German and Japanese).
But further to what was said above...

Here's a link to the modules for languages
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/t901/modules/

and you don't have to do a straight 60-60 split for Combined Honours. You can choose to do a major/minor route and split 80-40. That way you get the same amount of language as single honours students but you do less of the culture, making it even easier to avoid film and literature (although that is still possible on a 60-60 split).

That would mean that you'd do 20 credits of German language and 20 credits of German "culture". As the poster above said - cultural modules includes German history. It also includes linguistics and the study of the Dutch language in second and fourth year.
So it would be really easy for you to avoid Literature and Film studies :smile:

Thanks for your feedback, this really helped. : )

Quick Reply