Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
You never really own a house or the ground it stands on. All land in the UK is owned by the state and those who squat on it or put their homes on it are merely serfs upon the land. They have to pay feudal duties to occupy that land which is let to them under a feudal tenancy known as in fee simple.

That feudal duty is currently called council tax.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
You never really own a house or the ground it stands on. All land in the UK is owned by the state and those who squat on it or put their homes on it are merely serfs upon the land. They have to pay feudal duties to occupy that land which is let to them under a feudal tenancy known as in fee simple.

And what level of council tax do you pay if the house is unoccupied and unfurnished?
Limpopo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
And what level of council tax do you pay if the house is unoccupied and unfurnished?
Without checking and based on past experience, it can depend on the individual local authority. Some used to allow a payment holiday if the house was emplty/being redeveloped etc. I dont think they were obliged to do so. Im not sure they would do it now so i think feudal duty flows from tenancy of a property.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20...d_second_homes
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Without checking and based on past experience, it can depend on the individual local authority. Some used to allow a payment holiday if the house was emplty/being redeveloped etc. I dont think they were obliged to do so. Im not sure they would do it now so i think feudal duty flows from tenancy of a property.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20...d_second_homes
Here are the exemptions for Glasgow
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/ctforms

I had forgotten the obvious one, pretty much noone on this forum (inc the OP) pays council tax because of student exemption.

Land itself (eg privately owned woodland) doesn't attract council tax does it?
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More then happy to pay that feudal duty if it means my streets are lit and the rubbish collected
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I had forgotten the obvious one, pretty much noone on this forum (inc the OP) pays council tax because of student exemption.

Land itself (eg privately owned woodland) doesn't attract council tax does it?
I pay council tax

Council tax is calculated by the house value, not land value. So no house = no tax.

Unoccupied houses only have a 1-month tax exception in my area.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
More then happy to pay that feudal duty if it means my streets are lit and the rubbish collected
I do appreciate your point.

Consider this though, as a free citizen of planet earth,by your birthright, have you considered why you cannot occupy your part of it without let,hindrance or charge should you choose to do so?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
I pay council tax

Council tax is calculated by the house value, not land value. So no house = no tax.

Unoccupied houses only have a 1-month tax exception in my area.
Same, just recognising its a student forum (especially given the OPs situation)

Yes I know, what Limpopo is saying is pretty much bull.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do appreciate your point.

Consider this though, as a free citizen of planet earth,by your birthright, have you considered why you cannot occupy your part of it without let,hindrance or charge should you choose to do so?
Since the OP will be able to do exactly that, what has this got to do with the thread?
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Yes: think again. You'll never get a mortgage without an income from either a job or a proven record of letting properties over several years, unless you can con someone who is in such a position to guarantee it.
It is very unwise to pontificate on complex subjects you know nothing about. The OP should consult a good mortgage broker with experience of commercial mortgages. With his deposit he can get virtually any kind of finance he needs.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are many places on earth that I could purchase which dont require payment of any land taxes. I just choose to purchase and live in a part of it which does require a tax to pay for services.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
God almighty we've got one of the Freemen of England nutters on here!
Limpopo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Since the OP will be able to do exactly that, what has this got to do with the thread?
I appreciate we are digressing slightly. I had not realised that Students had exemption from council tax. Having driven around the student areas of Manchester such as Fallowfield etc, i think there is a good case for charging them more due to the squalor which many of them are creating in the neighbourhoods.

Howver, it is true that when the OP is no longer a student, he will not be able to occupy his pile of bricks which is set upon land notionally claimed to be owned by the Crown Estates, without paying some kind of duty.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
It is very unwise to pontificate on complex subjects you know nothing about. The OP should consult a good mortgage broker with experience of commercial mortgages. With his deposit he can get virtually any kind of finance he needs.
Im inclined to agree with the original response. In my experience and from everything I've read on various mortgage related forums (which has been a huge amount as ive literally just purchased a property), it is extremely unlikely someone would get:

1. A residential mortgage without a guaranteed income or guarantor.

2. A Buy-to-let mortgage without first owning another property on which to guarantee the mortgage.

Obviously there are exceptions, however I cant believe a 70k deposit would make any difference. That is not a large deposit for the size of house being discussed.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
There are many places on earth that I could purchase which dont require payment of any land taxes. I just choose to purchase and live in a part of it which does require a tax to pay for services.
Thats fine, I'm not saying thats wrong or making any kind of criticism.

As you are in the know, could you tell me where i could buy a small plot of land on planet earth and upon which i can build a dwelling without paying any kind of duty flowing from my occupation of that patch of land? Why would i have to buy that patch of land? Is it not my birthright to occupy it (not own it) for the duration of my life, purely by being a citizen of planet earth?
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As you are in the know, could you tell me where i could buy a small plot of land on planet earth and upon which i can build a dwelling without paying any kind of duty flowing from my occupation of that patch of land?
Sealand would be an obvious start

Various private islands throughout the world. Certain countries which have no form of property taxation.

Why would i have to buy that patch of land? Is it not my birthright to occupy it (not own it) for the duration of my life, purely by being a citizen of planet earth?
And what happens when all the land has been allocated?
Limpopo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reue)
Sealand would be an obvious start

Various private islands throughout the world. Certain countries which have no form of property taxation.

And what happens when all the land has been allocated?
But arent all the places you state already claimed to be owned by someone? Arent all the private islands owned by nice chaps like Mr Branson?

When all the land has been allocated save for that set aside for food production,recreation and industry then we will all either have to budge up a little or control population as those nice Chinese folk have done.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But arent all the places you state already claimed to be owned by someone? Arent all the private islands owned by nice chaps like Mr Branson?
Why would that make a difference? Theres private islands for sale and im sure for the right amount others would sell. You didnt ask for somewhere affordable to buy. You just asked for somewhere to buy

When all the land has been allocated save for that set aside for food production,recreation and industry then we will all either have to budge up a little or control population as those nice Chinese folk have done.
Excellent idea; Budge up a little. What if I dont want to budge up a little? My 'birthright' entitled me to 1 square km when I was born. Why should I then have that reduced years later? How do you decide who gets the nice green fields and who gets the arctic?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I appreciate we are digressing slightly. I had not realised that Students had exemption from council tax. Having driven around the student areas of Manchester such as Fallowfield etc, i think there is a good case for charging them more due to the squalor which many of them are creating in the neighbourhoods.

Howver, it is true that when the OP is no longer a student, he will not be able to occupy his pile of bricks which is set upon land notionally claimed to be owned by the Crown Estates, without paying some kind of duty.
Depends whether he meets any other exemptions or not really doesn't it?

Couldn't they tour Scotland sleeping in a tent?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
It is very unwise to pontificate on complex subjects you know nothing about.
I agree.

With his deposit he can get virtually any kind of finance he needs.
No, I stand by my first post, especially in the current lending climate. He will need to demonstrate he can afford to repay the interest on his loan and, unless he can demonstrate a sound history of letting, the rent from those sharing with him is extremely unlikely to be taken into account (as it is a new venture and may easily be unsuccessful).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
22.07%
Less motivated (113)
77.93%

Watched Threads