How much does your partners music taste matter to you?

Watch
EmpireofRome
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Frankie ocean

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmyAintDead
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much, as I tend to listen to all sorts of music. However, I do find a small minority of people who just enjoy one or two genres (especially rock/metal) to be rather annoying as they let their music taste define themselves and their identity and judge my taste in music. Seeming as I don't really want a partner to go 'Oh, you like this? That sucks, you have really bad taste, listen to this " and then try to get me to change, I wouldn't date them if they were like that.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty much a dealbreaker. As a muso myself, it would be pretty **** to have a partner who didn't share enjoyment of a single genre with me, or wasn't open to trying new things/going outside their comfort area. They don't have to love the same things but someone who hates classical music and is never gonna change their mind is never gonna get very far with me.

Equally, someone who thinks they can pick the music for our wedding will get a big shock coz I'm gonna be in charge of the music

:teehee:
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much as I tend to listen to most types of music as long as he doesn't diss my music taste it will all be good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't really mind as long as they don't define themselves by their music taste or try to tell me that my taste is awful, because it's not.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldn't bother me. I listen to pretty much all types of music anyway.
EverybodyHertz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as they don't try and impress their tastes on me and put me down in terms of what I like.

I listen to heavy rock/ metal but also classical, you don't see me shoving it down someone else's throat, its just generally interesting as I don't find many people with the same interests as me so it makes a kind of starting point.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheDaylighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AmyAintDead)
Not much, as I tend to listen to all sorts of music. However, I do find a small minority of people who just enjoy one or two genres (especially rock/metal) to be rather annoying as they let their music taste define themselves and their identity and judge my taste in music. Seeming as I don't really want a partner to go 'Oh, you like this? That sucks, you have really bad taste, listen to this " and then try to get me to change, I wouldn't date them if they were like that.
I'm the same, but tend to I find I click better with people who I can talk to about music for ages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Pretty much a dealbreaker. As a muso myself, it would be pretty **** to have a partner who didn't share enjoyment of a single genre with me, or wasn't open to trying new things/going outside their comfort area. They don't have to love the same things but someone who hates classical music and is never gonna change their mind is never gonna get very far with me.

Equally, someone who thinks they can pick the music for our wedding will get a big shock coz I'm gonna be in charge of the music

:teehee:
I don't really get what there is to hate about classical music :dontknow: Most people I know that claimed to "hate" it had never really experienced it and quickly changed their minds when I got them to listen to some real stuff.
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I listen to a number of genres and in general wouldn't be fussed what she listened to. I'm fairly passionate about hip hop though - if she ever said someone like Drake or Lil Wayne is better than someone like Biggie or 2Pac, I'd never speak to her again.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quite a lot, but not toooooo much.
My bf once tried to tell me that I should keep listening to "his" music until I found some I liked, which really annoyed me, because I never expect the same back.
If we hated each other's tastes, it would probably be an issue, but we have a decent amount in common, and then just don't like the rest, but will tolerate it (briefly).
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flauta)
I don't really get what there is to hate about classical music :dontknow: Most people I know that claimed to "hate" it had never really experienced it and quickly changed their minds when I got them to listen to some real stuff.
Indeed, I've found the same and would hope I could convert any potential spouse-to-be. If I couldn't though, they'd be sent packing quite quickly :teehee:
Philbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd like our tastes to overlap somewhat, and I'd like to be able to suggest music to them and discover new bands through/with them. That's what my bf and I have going on. Our tastes overlap quite a bit and we listen to music together a lot, but we both have bands etc. which the other isn't so keen on.
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not very important but me and my current boyfriend have a very similar taste in music so it's always a plus.
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Indeed, I've found the same and would hope I could convert any potential spouse-to-be. If I couldn't though, they'd be sent packing quite quickly :teehee:
It gets such an unnecessary stigma. Don't blame you, I hope I never have to put myself in that situation. Perhaps if I listen to the Mass in B Minor non stop right from the start of our relationship they'll get the right idea :lol:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Flauta)
It gets such an unnecessary stigma. Don't blame you, I hope I never have to put myself in that situation. Perhaps if I listen to the Mass in B Minor non stop right from the start of our relationship they'll get the right idea :lol:
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My boyfriend and I have a few bands that we both like but there's some bands/artists that he likes that I would never listen to and vice versa. It can be frustrating at times when I really really love a band and share one of my favorites with him and he just doesn't get it and it's irritating that we can never really chill out and listen to music together. Yet, oddly enough one of the first proper conversations we ever had was me recommending a band to him and then him recommending one to me. One of the first bickering matches we had when we first got together was about whether The Beatles or The Clash were the superior band. We still argue about that today unfortunately.

At the end of the day I can overlook our differences in taste. I am very much a lyrics person, whereas he is more about the actual music. None of my friends like the same books as I do or the same music as I do and we still work as friends.
drowninginsound
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seeing as a large part of my life revolves around music, it's pretty important to me, if not essential. I don't listen to many genres, so we'd have to have some common ground - although saying that, being into any kind of music is better than nothing at all! Though if they were crazy about pop or rap specifically, then it'd be difficult for me to connect on a musical level.
If they're a musician themselves, then even better.
elpistolero7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much. My girlfriend likes the stuff I'm into so its a plus. I could never, ever, ever date someone who was into any of that Justin Bieber or 1 Direction *******s being passed off as "music", though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (453)
14.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (427)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.07%
Loneliness (263)
8.59%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.37%

Watched Threads