karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I feel so horrible, I'm definitely taking geography but I only have one space for either History or RS. I've just realised how much I love all my humanities! I want to cry and pull my hair out!
I like both subjects but
RS: Seems a little boring (subjects we are going to learn about) but I know I can get a good grade in it and I do enjoy it
History: The subjects seem fun but the exams are terrifying (I looked at past papers) and I am not always consistent but I have good levels in it.
If I pick one I feel bad for not picking the other!
Someone please help, just advice and I don't have long to decide!

Thank you x
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
I feel so horrible, I'm definitely taking geography but I only have one space for either History or RS. I've just realised how much I love all my humanities! I want to cry and pull my hair out!
I like both subjects but
RS: Seems a little boring (subjects we are going to learn about) but I know I can get a good grade in it and I do enjoy it
History: The subjects seem fun but the exams are terrifying (I looked at past papers) and I am not always consistent but I have good levels in it.
If I pick one I feel bad for not picking the other!
Someone please help, just advice and I don't have long to decide!

Thank you x
Relax and breaaaath.
Consult a person who is unbiased not not your RS or History teacher. Ask your parents or older siblings. You could also ask Year 10s and 11s on the forum and in school. Sky's the limit.

Personally I would be going crazy if I were you too. Go on to University and Sixth Form sites and do reaserch on if they have specific GCSE requirements.

Just do as much research as possible because you dont want to end up hating the one you end up doing.
notmydivision
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say history is the better option. I am in year 10 and I am so far really enjoying it. My friends say RE is easy, so they are taking it a year early. It doesn't matter if you are not always consistent at the moment as you have plenty of time to improve. Hope this helped
Random20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in year 11 and I have taken both (RS was compulsory) I think you need to pick the subject you enjoy most. However, I think history maybe an overall better subject, it is fascinating and it also shows a wide range of skills from essay writing to being able to interpret sources. It is also well looked upon, but there is a lot to remember. I think RS is helpful and it links to aspects of other subjects if you look more at the ethics side, but it is really up to what you think you like best and don't be scared of a challenge. hope this helps!
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
RS is definitely a lot easier than History and I found most topics in it interesting. With History there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of coursework and the exams are pretty difficult. With History I wrote what I considered to be really informative with lots of sources and references and wrote quite a lot, and only got a C. It was weird because on practise papers I would get A/B. With RS, I completely forgot to do the last 3 sections of the paper until the last 5 minutes and I still managed to get a C, even though I'd missed out questions.
If I had to choose between History and RS I would choose RS, but it differs for everybody

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ben4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do both, RS is definitely easier, but history is more fun. Despite this I'm currently getting As in History and Bs in RS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
coffeeneeded27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also do both. I wouldn't say history is necessarily harder, but there is more work and writing involved. We do the moral issues and philosophy modules for rs which are actually really interesting. Personally, I love history as there are so many different aspects and so much information BUT there is a controlled assessment involved which is a pain. If you want any more info on either, message me

Posted from TSR Mobile
swagz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey
I'm doing both RE and History.
RE is easier, you have a good chance of getting a decent grade
On the other hand, History is so much fun and you learn about a lot of cool things such as Nazi Germany and stuff
My advice is to take whatever you enjoy the most, because you have a better chance of actually sitting down, revising and getting a good mark
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr...)
Relax and breaaaath.
Consult a person who is unbiased not not your RS or History teacher. Ask your parents or older siblings. You could also ask Year 10s and 11s on the forum and in school. Sky's the limit.

Personally I would be going crazy if I were you too. Go on to University and Sixth Form sites and do reaserch on if they have specific GCSE requirements.

Just do as much research as possible because you dont want to end up hating the one you end up doing.
I have done this! This is the last weekend! I think, if I took History, I might be swamped under all the work and the exams look horrible, not that I wouldn't be able to do it.... I don't like unnecessary stress
RS is fine but I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by swagz)
Hey
I'm doing both RE and History.
RE is easier, you have a good chance of getting a decent grade
On the other hand, History is so much fun and you learn about a lot of cool things such as Nazi Germany and stuff
My advice is to take whatever you enjoy the most, because you have a better chance of actually sitting down, revising and getting a good mark
I enjoy both but I'm not sure I would enjoy revising history, I'm bad at remembering dates too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by eleanor27)
I also do both. I wouldn't say history is necessarily harder, but there is more work and writing involved. We do the moral issues and philosophy modules for rs which are actually really interesting. Personally, I love history as there are so many different aspects and so much information BUT there is a controlled assessment involved which is a pain. If you want any more info on either, message me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random20)
I'm in year 11 and I have taken both (RS was compulsory) I think you need to pick the subject you enjoy most. However, I think history maybe an overall better subject, it is fascinating and it also shows a wide range of skills from essay writing to being able to interpret sources. It is also well looked upon, but there is a lot to remember. I think RS is helpful and it links to aspects of other subjects if you look more at the ethics side, but it is really up to what you think you like best and don't be scared of a challenge. hope this helps!
That's what I was thinking about RS
(The ethical side) because I would like to be a scientist or doctor so that links well. History would give me skills but so would Rs and Geography! :/
Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
I have done this! This is the last weekend! I think, if I took History, I might be swamped under all the work and the exams look horrible, not that I wouldn't be able to do it.... I don't like unnecessary stress
RS is fine but I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want my biased opinion I would say history. In the long run it looks betterr. Forget about the exams of couse they look hard. We are in Year Nine they are not made for us. Did the KS3 papers seem super hard when we were in KS1? Of course. Humans are amazing at adapting. You will be able to do it and hey I am doing both next year so either way we could help eachother out.

See what people on the Year 9 thread think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads