Why do you / did you want to do a PGCE?

Watch this thread
Poll: Why do you / did you want to do a PGCE?
Because teaching children is my passion AND I want a career as a teacher (7)
77.78%
For ANY OTHER reasons (see 1st post) (2)
22.22%
thisistheend
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
ANY OTHER reasons such as:

*because you want an extra year at uni
*a paid postgraduate course
*springboard into ed psych or other masters level study
*work in the educational sector but in an office somewhere and not with children in classrooms, eg LEA/Exam board etc.
*something extra to top up your CV if you go abroad
*it's something to fall back on just in case jobs market / economy is bad
*(mistakenly) think the training or the actual job will be easy
*almost guaranteed a job (particularly for "shortage" subjects)
*and because you just can't....(because you're not one of those people who can)

etc...
-------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/education...e-exam-factory
http://www.theguardian.com/education...itting-scandal

Surely anyone thinking about a PGCE must at least have a vague notion that lots of teachers aren't happy with their professions. Imagine if a headline that says "50% of doctors quit being doctors within 5 years...) And they must have at least read a little bit about why. All the little things that adds up to a career that becomes less rewarding and highly stressful.

So why did you / do you still want to do it?

I'm making this poll because I read one of the comments in the 1st link @
http://www.theguardian.com/education...mment-33081811

And so I think it is a very interesting question to ask. And FYI, I did my PGCE for quite a few of the ANY OTHER reasons list I put above. After getting QTS, I went straight into supply teaching and top that up with other freelance work and have not looked back.
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
For me, it's just a case of wanting to ensure that children don't fall behind in the system to the extent where they're effectively screwed for life. I think that would be the strongest motivator. Then it'd be to get them to do well by encouraging some level of independence and curiosity, which I think it important for society. Having said that, there's a lot of literate people out there who are still horrible people. So I'm probably just very idealistic and misguided that education = more peaceful society in the long run.

Even with all this reasoning. I'm not sure whether I'm doing the smart thing by signing myself up to a career that effectively demands 45-60 hours per week. The idea of supply work does sound somewhat tempting, but I've heard one head teacher effectively state: If I saw someone constantly supplying, I'd think, why haven't they settled into one school yet?
Squoosh25
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Category A for me, though I don't actually know that teaching will be my passion, as I've not yet tried it. Certainly I think it will be for me. I hope it will be. The subject of English is certainly my passion - I want more than anything to enjoy teaching the subject just as much as I do the subject itself. We'll see, I guess.
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because I want to become a teacher!! I also like that I can gain masters credits and that it can be used internationally. I thought this was going to be a question like PGCE vs School Direct vs Teach First or something....
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because I love children and i' sure teaching them is going be a very rewarding experience. I still haven't decided whether or not to teach at primary or secondary level though..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (81)
29.67%
It went fairly well (129)
47.25%
It didn't go too well (41)
15.02%
TERRIBLE! (22)
8.06%

Watched Threads