Applying for customer service adviser for BT, should they screen previous employment?

Watch
jamie423
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Applied for what I gather is basically an entry level call center job for BT. Although not compulsory, initially they were looking for people with customer service experience, and as i've been working in the kitchen as a dishwasher of a restaurant for 2 years, essentially know the ins and outs of being a waiter/waitress (customer service isn't rocket science either) as I work with them daily (put it to manager a couple of times before that i'd love to "get out" to the front, just so I could give it a try while simultaneously keeping my dish washing post, my head chef was supportive of this idea, however he probably doesn't think it's worth potentially losing me as a dishwasher) took a chance and stuck my job title down as "waiter". Went to 1st BT interview, passed it and got invited back to a final assessment. Can anyone give me any idea as to whether they should bother screening my previous employment? I've given 2 character references on my application form, so no direct employment references apart from contact details of current place of work. I think my local NI government department (DEL) will be carrying out the screenings if that helps.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It may be some companies' policy to get a reference from your last employer... but considering the number of applications they will be screening and the similarity between your role and the role you have claimed to be doing (it's not like you've claimed you manage the restaurant), I don't really think alarm bells are going to ring. All they will probably be looking for to clear you is confirmation that you were employed by them and that there aren't any major reasons not to employ you e.g. poor performance, punctuality or absence issues, etc. So as long as you have been a good employee I wouldn't worry!
jamie423
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by moutonfou)
It may be some companies' policy to get a reference from your last employer... but considering the number of applications they will be screening and the similarity between your role and the role you have claimed to be doing (it's not like you've claimed you manage the restaurant), I don't really think alarm bells are going to ring. All they will probably be looking for to clear you is confirmation that you were employed by them and that there aren't any major reasons not to employ you e.g. poor performance, punctuality or absence issues, etc. So as long as you have been a good employee I wouldn't worry!
Thanks for being so helpful! Will dive into the assessment and see what happens, worse case scenario i'll have gained interview experience!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads