The Student Room Group

International relations degree without politics A Level?

I hope to study IR at such unis as KCL, LSE, Exeter, Leeds and the like.

My current A Levels are English, History, Chemistry and French.

The reason I don't study Politics is because my number one choice is the Arts and Sciences BASc at UCL and my current subject combination fulfils all the subject criteria.

My question is will not having Politics A Level severely impact my chances, even though none of the unis require Politics? I would likely drop English after AS and take up an EPQ focused on international relations.
Original post by xcartoonheart
I hope to study IR at such unis as KCL, LSE, Exeter, Leeds and the like.

My current A Levels are English, History, Chemistry and French.

The reason I don't study Politics is because my number one choice is the Arts and Sciences BASc at UCL and my current subject combination fulfils all the subject criteria.

My question is will not having Politics A Level severely impact my chances, even though none of the unis require Politics? I would likely drop English after AS and take up an EPQ focused on international relations.

If it doesn't require it then no. LSE are the only people who sometimes refuse people for having certain subject options which, despite being academic, are not perfectly tailored to the degree. But your subjects are fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem at all. The default supposition on the admissions tutors' parts, in so far as they will even think of this, is that Politics isn't offered at your school, as it isn't at many.

In the highly unlikely event that you were asked at an interview whether politics was offered at your school and if so why you didn't take it, you could say that you felt that History was a better preparation for the course (itself likely true) and that you wanted to maintain breadth at this early stage. You anyway do so much reading related to IR in your freetime that you didn't feel this could disadvantage you in terms of preparation.
It's fine, lot's of people do not study Politics at A level.

I'm actually applying for Politics/International relations and got 5 offers (one of which was Leeds) and i have never studied the subject before :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending