The Student Room Group

Structure and organization of a commentary

I'am really confused on as to organizing the response of the commentary? Going paragraph-wise seems like a perennial task...I end up writing o lot. The subject is AS-Levels English Language 9093(previously 8693)
Original post by kai68
I'am really confused on as to organizing the response of the commentary? Going paragraph-wise seems like a perennial task...I end up writing o lot. The subject is AS-Levels English Language 9093(previously 8693)

It's helpful to go, not paragraph-wise, but feature-wise. So first address genre, audience and purpose, then go on to talk about tone and mood or atmosphere and use the text to support your comments. For example if you are saying that the writer has adopted a certain tone in a particular part of the text, you can support it by embedding a few quoted words from the text or saying that a particular figure of speech/technique depicts this tone.

Basically, aim to club things together and not be too repetitive and only write what is relevant. I used to go on about tripling and repetition, but it's no use if you can't link it to the overall mood of the passage or your comment.

I suggest reading the standards booklet, it will give you a clearer idea of the kinds of commentaries expected! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
It's helpful to go, not paragraph-wise, but feature-wise. So first address genre, audience and purpose, then go on to talk about tone and mood or atmosphere and use the text to support your comments. For example if you are saying that the writer has adopted a certain tone in a particular part of the text, you can support it by embedding a few quoted words from the text or saying that a particular figure of speech/technique depicts this tone.

Basically, aim to club things together and not be too repetitive and only write what is relevant. I used to go on about tripling and repetition, but it's no use if you can't link it to the overall mood of the passage or your comment.

I suggest reading the standards booklet, it will give you a clearer idea of the kinds of commentaries expected! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest