The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds - 2014 Starters

Hey everyone,

I have an conditional offer at Leeds to study Early Childhood Studies and I was just wondering if there is anyone looking to start in September. I'm not sure if Leeds is going to be my firm or insurance choice. It's between Leeds and Liverpool Hope.

Also, I was wondering if people (both pre-students and current students) could give me their views on Leeds University. I have visited on the open day and I loved it. Its a huge university and the course looks interesting but the only thing that was bothering me was that the accommodation is mostly off campus.

So if anyone could give me any information I would be very grateful for that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi you alright? I'm looking to go leeds in September to do social science, I've firmed it. My friends who go there now have told me that being off campus doesn't mean not having as much fun on campus, in fact it's nearly the opposite. There all connected and some cheap some expensive, I've applied for james Baillie. If there's anything that's gonna put you off leeds, it should never be the accommodation!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hi I'm good thanks, you? Aww right cool, so what did you think of Leeds when you went to the open days?
I'm going back to Leeds this Saturday to look at the accommodation, it's not the fact that it's putting me off, I'm just thinking is it easier to be in accommodation that is on campus
I'm about 50% sure I'm going to firm Leeds either for PPE or Straight Politics.

Not really looked into accommodation yet, the only things I'm sure of 100% is that I don't fancy Central Village and I definitely won't be going catered.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've firmed Leeds for Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies and i've applied Leodis :smile:
Reply 5
I've firmed leeds to study english lit & theatre studies :smile: applied for leodis x
Reply 6
So what does everyone think of the uni? Have you applied for the accommodation yet?
I've firmed Leeds and have a conditional offer to do Politics (AAB) - I'm here now, going to look round the accommodation tomorrow! I'm thinking either james bailie park or Leodis? Are these sociable flats? And is it easy to find your way round? I'm terrible with directions and worried I'll be lost all the time haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by AlexanderStuart
I've firmed Leeds and have a conditional offer to do Politics (AAB) - I'm here now, going to look round the accommodation tomorrow! I'm thinking either james bailie park or Leodis? Are these sociable flats? And is it easy to find your way round? I'm terrible with directions and worried I'll be lost all the time haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah some one else doing politics, where else did you apply and how did you finally decide on leeds? :smile:
Reply 9
Firmed for English Lit & History.
I've firmed for actuarial mathematics and I think I might apply to Charles Morris for accommodation :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Jessica_22
Hey everyone,

I have an conditional offer at Leeds to study Early Childhood Studies and I was just wondering if there is anyone looking to start in September. I'm not sure if Leeds is going to be my firm or insurance choice. It's between Leeds and Liverpool Hope.

Also, I was wondering if people (both pre-students and current students) could give me their views on Leeds University. I have visited on the open day and I loved it. Its a huge university and the course looks interesting but the only thing that was bothering me was that the accommodation is mostly off campus.

So if anyone could give me any information I would be very grateful for that.

All my friends are alreadt at uni (gap yah probs...) but theu all tell me a 15/20 min walk is nothing and if anything is nice because you all walk together. That said the off campus accomodation is mostly in headingley which is where nost students are already so its not really an issue. I dont think liverpool hope is as good as a uni is doesnt feel as big as uni of liverpool and jmu so i dont know if the armosphere woukd be as good as leeds would be as leeds uni is one of the main unis in leeds. Liverpool is a great city and altgough ive only visited three times leeds seems very similar to liverpool so its up to you. If yoi genuinly cant split then at all just firn he one with the highest grades unless they are both the same then i dno what you should do haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an unconditional offer (was meant to go last year but differed) for Sociology. I was looking at Central Village for accommodation because of location/newness but everyone says it's kind of dead atmosphere wise. Think i'm going to look into Henry Price/Leodis :smile:
Original post by mossj
ah some one else doing politics, where else did you apply and how did you finally decide on leeds? :smile:

Newcastle is my insurance and I got offers from Durham, Sheffield and Goldsmiths :smile: what about you?! I'm scared I won't get my grades haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I have just been given a conditional offer for Information Technology in Leeds.

I went to my interview and had a look around last Wednesday and Leeds looks like a really cool place to live.

You right in saying that a lot of the accommodation is off campus but its not a huge deal to be honest. Most of them are maybe 10 minutes walk not to mention that when your making that LONG walk to and from the campus, you will be with your friends anyways. If you really want to be on campus, the 2 pieces of accommodation that looked really good when I was looking around were Central Village which is pretty much in the centre of the campus and also Charles Morris which is REALLY nice but is quite expensive. Its around £190 but it is Catered and is basically brand new.

Im actually from Liverpool and Id choose Leeds over Hope.
Reply 15
I just want to point out that the accommodation in headingly is probably a 20/30 minute walk from the campus, but you can catch a bus from the uni campus to the headingly accommodation.

Just don't want anyone thinking it is really near to the uni :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by charlmolwil
I've got an unconditional offer (was meant to go last year but differed) for Sociology. I was looking at Central Village for accommodation because of location/newness but everyone says it's kind of dead atmosphere wise. Think i'm going to look into Henry Price/Leodis :smile:

Think I'm going to go with Leodis too. I actually thought it was a bit more homely, Central Village rooms looked like an ikea showroom lol. Just put off a lil by the surrounding area.
Reply 17
Original post by hl7495
All my friends are alreadt at uni (gap yah probs...) but theu all tell me a 15/20 min walk is nothing and if anything is nice because you all walk together. That said the off campus accomodation is mostly in headingley which is where nost students are already so its not really an issue. I dont think liverpool hope is as good as a uni is doesnt feel as big as uni of liverpool and jmu so i dont know if the armosphere woukd be as good as leeds would be as leeds uni is one of the main unis in leeds. Liverpool is a great city and altgough ive only visited three times leeds seems very similar to liverpool so its up to you. If yoi genuinly cant split then at all just firn he one with the highest grades unless they are both the same then i dno what you should do haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you. I went to the accommodation viewing day today and if Leeds is going to my firm choice, I'm thinking about either James Baillie or Henry Price. Also, because the people your living with are not usually on your course, I was just wondering who would you go out with for night-outs for example - the people you live with or the people on your course?
Reply 18
Original post by H0ls
Think I'm going to go with Leodis too. I actually thought it was a bit more homely, Central Village rooms looked like an ikea showroom lol. Just put off a lil by the surrounding area.

What about the area? I liked henry price but i know i probabky wont end up there so its jb and mb aswell im more confused now tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by H0ls

Same I like both but I thought central village felt a lot less communal than leodis...
I'm also worried about the surrounding area but to be honest you'll get that everywhere in leeds! And there will be 1000+ students living down the Monty b and leodis area so there will always be a steady stream of people walking to and from :smile:
At leodis they mentioned a taxi scheme thing too which sounds good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest