malena123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm in year 11 and I have to choose my A-level subject choices soon. In the future I want to be either a film editor or a cinematographer. My current choices are:

Maths (actual GCSE result:A*)
History (predicted GCSE grade: A*)
Theology/philosophy (predicted GCSE grade: A*)
Film Studies (I don't currently study it)

I hear a lot about how Film Studies isn't well respected at Uni and how it's a "soft" subject; however, I think it'll be good to take it for some experience - is this a good idea? Or should I not do it?

I have also been advised to maybe take 5 A levels ? I was considering either English lang or English lit because I've heard they're good subjects to take with Film. I got an A in English lang but I'm resitting this summer because my teacher says I could possibly get an A*. I'm still studying English lit now and hopefully I can get another A in the summer.

The things that put me off taking 5 A levels are:
- how everyone says they're so time consuming.
- how at Uni they only look at 3 grades.

The things that convince me in taking 5 A levels are:
- I've been told I'm "capable" of it (but I slightly disagree).
- I'm taking Film Studies and I've been told to take academic subjects so maybe taking a 5th will balance this out.

I was wondering, should I take an English subject as a 5th A level? And if so, which? English lang is more creative so I guess it's good with Film but say I wanted to do English at Uni (possibly with another subject) they require either English lit or English lit/lang combined NOT English lang, so would it be a waste taking English lang in the end?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really confused whether my A level choices are good. Thanks for all the help!
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can cope with it, sure thing. I wish I pushed myself and did more than my 5 AS levels and 3 A2 levels.

At my school a number of people took 5-A levels, getting 4 A*'s and an A or even 5 A*'s.

I'd wait until you got your GCSE results though, it'll give you an indication of how well you can cope. The people in question above got straight A*'s/A's at GCSE, did their A-levels in traditional subjects and went onto top universities
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't bother with Film Studies, just means more work you have to do.
malena123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
If you can cope with it, sure thing. I wish I pushed myself and did more than my 5 AS levels and 3 A2 levels.

At my school a number of people took 5-A levels, getting 4 A*'s and an A or even 5 A*'s.

I'd wait until you got your GCSE results though, it'll give you an indication of how well you can cope. The people in question above got straight A*'s/A's at GCSE, did their A-levels in traditional subjects and went onto top universities
Thanks! I think I will wait until I get my grades and see what areas I'm doing well in but I'm still wondering even if I do end up doing well, will I actually be able to cope with 5...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (605)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.89%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads