Help with improving grades? Watch

Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello I am aspiring to get top grades in my GCSEs, mostly As and A*s but right now I'm currently at Bs Cs. I really want to do well at my education, and hopefully get great A-level results and enrol into a good university... But GCSEs are the first battle. I will note down my subjects and the exam board and my current grades, if you take this subject and have any tips on how to improve please let me know thanks!

English Language AQA - B
English Literature AQA - C
Mathematics Edexcel - A
History AQA - A
Religious Studies WJEC - B
PE Edexcel - C
ICT Edexcel - B
Additional Science AQA - B
Spanish OCR - B

I feel like I could get an A* in History and Maths as I love these subjects and want to pursue them at Sixth Form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
palmerme1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spend more time on the subjects you want to improve and provide more revision time to those subjects. What I like to do is imagine where I want to be in 10 years. I want to be a lawyer. I then think what grades I need. That motivates me to revise.
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English is a natural ability thing but if you don't have that then you can get a top B /low A using structures and stuff.. For literature, re-read the books NOW, make notes on what you think about each chapter, character mind maps with quotes (if you don't have the natural ability remembering quotes could really impress the examiner), then after finishing each book make 2 or 3 mind maps for themes and then practice a few essay questions and ask your teacher to mark them for you (they'll surely appreciate the enthusiasm). For English language I think that really is natural ability..for me it's just timing it right. If you're wanting a few extra marks point out FORREST (AFOREST? Something like that) and explain why they've been used or why they're effective.. But what I find gets marks is being blunt.. Point, evidence, explain. If you're a fast writer get 15 or so of those in (I usually finish exactly 10 but I write slowly) and you'll be more likely to get the full 10 marks - just don't drift off, I used to treat the reading like it was Literature and write a paragraph for each point, but writing less was more effective as it took less time.

For languages (Spanish) I think you have to be moderately interested in it. But if you devote a little time to it outside school reading through vocab lists (if you haven't been given one just google it or something) you should be fine..

I won't give advice on anything else because that would be foolish of me as I myself am on a lot of B's - my strong points are English, French and Geography.

I have no idea what I'm working at in RE.. Every assessment point is different - C, A, A*, D. I'm not sure if I really care about it, I would love to get an A but there's A LOT to learn in order to get the best marks and time really doesn't do me any favours in RE exams..I'd say ask your teacher for some sort of revision book (I have one for each topic and they're really effective like with all the Christian teachings, quotes and whatever). But for RE I'm just going to cram revise a few weeks before the exam as I think my other subjects deserve more attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
grantroshan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you still need help, I would suggest reading the textbooks for your subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads