maddiegarcia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not sure on what quotes & how many quotes I need to know from my English lit GCSE, does anyone know any good quotes to learn?
white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maddiegarcia)
I'm not sure on what quotes & how many quotes I need to know from my English lit GCSE, does anyone know any good quotes to learn?
You don't need to learn too many, just a handful that will suit different types of questions and cove the main themes. Some ideas are:

'The guy ain't right.' - Eddie about Rodolfo. Sums up Eddie's feelings towards Rodolfo throughout but also can be used when talking about masculinity and Eddie's possible sexual confusion and latent homosexuality.

'When am I going to be a wife again, Eddie?' Beatrice to Eddie. Can be used to talk about their relationship and Eddie's infatuation with Catherine/ homosexual feelings for Rodolfo.

'I was born in Italy' Alfieri to the audience. This could be used when talking about how Alfieri is a 'bridge' between various things such as Italian and American law, Eddie's view of the world and reality etc. It shows the contrast between America and Italy.

[Stage Direction:] [Catherine] strikes a match and holds it to [Eddie's] cigar. This is very phallic and shows how Catherine may not be 100% innocent. It can be used to talk about Eddie's attraction to Catherine and how it is covered up and hidden, just like this imagery.

'Now we settle for half and I like it better.' Alfieri to the audience. This is one of the main themes of the play - settling for less than you want. Being selfless to a certain extent. It's the real world where Eddie can't have Catherine. It can be used when explaining Eddie's character or the theme of settling for something to save all the trouble it would cause.

'
And so I mourn [Eddie] – I admit it – with a certain…alarm.' - Alfieri's closing speech. It shows us how Eddie was set on what he wanted and din't 'settle for half'. He followed his desire to the very end no matter what it cost him. Miller said it was fascinating to watch and that the purpose of his play was not to surprise but to allow the reader to watch how the story developed to get to a point we know is inevitable.

Hope this helps
maddiegarcia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qaiys)
You don't need to learn too many, just a handful that will suit different types of questions and cove the main themes. Some ideas are:

'The guy ain't right.' - Eddie about Rodolfo. Sums up Eddie's feelings towards Rodolfo throughout but also can be used when talking about masculinity and Eddie's possible sexual confusion and latent homosexuality.

'When am I going to be a wife again, Eddie?' Beatrice to Eddie. Can be used to talk about their relationship and Eddie's infatuation with Catherine/ homosexual feelings for Rodolfo.

'I was born in Italy' Alfieri to the audience. This could be used when talking about how Alfieri is a 'bridge' between various things such as Italian and American law, Eddie's view of the world and reality etc. It shows the contrast between America and Italy.

[Stage Direction:] [Catherine] strikes a match and holds it to [Eddie's] cigar. This is very phallic and shows how Catherine may not be 100% innocent. It can be used to talk about Eddie's attraction to Catherine and how it is covered up and hidden, just like this imagery.

'Now we settle for half and I like it better.' Alfieri to the audience. This is one of the main themes of the play - settling for less than you want. Being selfless to a certain extent. It's the real world where Eddie can't have Catherine. It can be used when explaining Eddie's character or the theme of settling for something to save all the trouble it would cause.

'
And so I mourn [Eddie] – I admit it – with a certain…alarm.' - Alfieri's closing speech. It shows us how Eddie was set on what he wanted and din't 'settle for half'. He followed his desire to the very end no matter what it cost him. Miller said it was fascinating to watch and that the purpose of his play was not to surprise but to allow the reader to watch how the story developed to get to a point we know is inevitable.

Hope this helps
Thankyou!
white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maddiegarcia)
Thankyou!
No problem
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was thinking about this play the other day. One of the stage directions popped into my head :lol: Although it was 3 years since I did it at school so my analysis is probably way off track, but there's a bit where it says Eddie 'envelopes her with his eyes', referring to Catherine, and it's very possessive, one of the themes of the play is obsession, including Eddie's obsession with Catherine and it's as though Eddie's trying to package her up, partly to protect her but also because he wants to keep her as his.
maddiegarcia
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
I was thinking about this play the other day. One of the stage directions popped into my head :lol: Although it was 3 years since I did it at school so my analysis is probably way off track, but there's a bit where it says Eddie 'envelopes her with his eyes', referring to Catherine, and it's very possessive, one of the themes of the play is obsession, including Eddie's obsession with Catherine and it's as though Eddie's trying to package her up, partly to protect her but also because he wants to keep her as his.
Thanks so much for your help!
piaetntm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?