Best book for getting back into Maths

Watch
dthomas86
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

Can you recommend a great textbook/book for getting back into maths after not studying it for a while.

A book that covers the basics right up to algebra and equations?

I have heard that 'What is Mathematics' by Richard Courant is meant to be a good book.

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dthomas86)
Hi everyone,

Can you recommend a great textbook/book for getting back into maths after not studying it for a while.

I have heard that 'What is Mathematics' by Richard Courant is meant to be a good book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What maths do you know already?

What is your reason for wanting to get back into maths - further study, personal interest?

'What is Mathematics' is a great book for introducing A level students and people intending to go to Uni to some of the more advanced concepts of maths, but it isn't intended as a comprehensive self-teaching resource and some of the topics are quite old-fashioned!
dthomas86
Rep:
?
Thanks for your fast response.

I started studying AS Maths for a bit but dropped out because of finding the time to study in my own time for work.

It's more of a personal interest rather than a career (although I would love to get into physics and more applied maths when I get confident).

I would like learning the basics like basic numbers, angles, fractions, percentages, area, shapes, sequences (basically GCSE and Key Stage 3 subjects) as well as more completed subjects found in AS and A-Level maths such as algebra, trig, integration and differentiation.

I would like a book that kind of gets you set for further study such as A-Level as well as covering the A-Level subjects.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Understand Calculus is great for high level Calculus stuff like Maclaurin series and arc length using Calculus,nwith full proofs of everything.

I say you can't beat an old textbook, go for the Bostock and Chandler ones as they're widely known to be one of the best and have full proofs of pretty much everything.

Professor Stewart's 'Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities' is also a pretty interesting read if you want to see some cool maths puzzles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muneeba x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Whitaker's Almanack Little book of infinity' -contains basic principles and theorems you once knew but forgot, also contains interesting and entertaining facts. I strongly recommend

As for textbooks, there's many, I do OCR MEI maths- the textbook is really good, has lots of exercises with example question and answers.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

If you want to get into mathematics (which is a slightly different thing to A-level maths, which is more "computation" than "maths"), my best recommendation is How to Think Like a Mathematician. It covers lots of things which are completely essential for studying maths (by which I mean "maths", not "A-level maths"), assuming no knowledge.
dthomas86
Rep:
?
Great thanks everyone! Would it be worth going over GCSE books?
I've tried Teach Yourself Complete Guide To Mathematics but it's quite a boring and bland book.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Great thanks everyone! Would it be worth going over GCSE books?
I've tried Teach Yourself Complete Guide To Mathematics but it's quite a boring and bland book.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well Maths is a subject that very much builds on its own foundations, which is why I asked you initially what your background was!

If you don't feel confident with some of the GCSE topics, then you're going to struggle to read any of the more advanced suggestions.

I would suggest getting hold of a GCSE revision guide and making sure that nothing in there is a surprise to you. If it shows up gaps in your knowlege, fill them! Once you can do all that's in there, you can pursue your own interests, but I would suggest a solid basis of algebra and trigonometry before you try anything more ambitious
dthomas86
Rep:
?
Could you recommend a decent GCSE maths book for self study? On eBay they have this book available which is relatively cheap: http://bit.ly/Ol7axj would this be a good book or could you recommend any others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
dthomas86
Rep:
?
Or even this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0435...=books&sr=8-14

I want one that has a clear expiation of all the topics as well as worked examples and questions. I really like the Heineman books for AS Level maths can you get the same for GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Or even this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0435...=books&sr=8-14

I want one that has a clear expiation of all the topics as well as worked examples and questions. I really like the Heineman books for AS Level maths can you get the same for GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a very old and dull textbook. Why do you want a GCSE textbook if you are studying AS Level maths?
dthomas86
Rep:
?
I started studying AS Maths but found it too complicated and didn't have the time to study in my spare time due to work commitments.

Now I have been out if education for a while and want to get my brain on track and get back into studying maths I was thinking of getting the basics right before progressing onto AS/A Level so wanted to know what a good GCSE student book would be for self study.

Thanks for the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (215)
56.88%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.12%

Watched Threads