Crystal Palace/ Tony Pulis - a rant about a terrible manager.

Watch
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay, so i'm a Sunderland fan, just got home from a 0-0 draw against Palace. And i'm bitter. I am. That is not football. That is not Premier League football. The tactics by Palace today were nothing short of embarrassing, honestly, I would feel ashamed if I were Pulis right now.

Their game plan started and ended with 'get 11 men behind the ball', they sat back for 90 minutes. They had no intention of playing football, at all. It was like watching a Conference side in the FA cup, only worse, at least non-league clubs have a bit of spirit and try to get forward now and again.

They were shambolic, perhaps before the game they planned on hitting us on the break, but they couldn't do it, they can't pass, they can't shoot, they can't run with the ball, they can't create, they can't take free kicks, they can't take corners. They were abysmal.

What a pathetic performance from a so called "Premier League" club. This is meant to be an elite league, what I saw today makes me doubt that.

I've always stood up for Pulis on the grounds that he should play however he wants in order to get point on the board... but after today I cannot agree with that sentiment. There is no excuse for that gameplan. In a word they were ****.

The single worst performance I have ever seen in the flesh.

I'm a Sunderland fan and we may well be going down this year but I swear to god I would take relegation if it meant we didn't have to play like THAT. Pathetic.

****ing pathetic.
gmj1892
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Okay, so i'm a Sunderland fan, just got home from a 0-0 draw against Palace. And i'm bitter. I am. That is not football. That is not Premier League football. The tactics by Palace today were nothing short of embarrassing, honestly, I would feel ashamed if I were Pulis right now.

Their game plan started and ended with 'get 11 men behind the ball', they sat back for 90 minutes. They had no intention of playing football, at all. It was like watching a Conference side in the FA cup, only worse, at least non-league clubs have a bit of spirit and try to get forward now and again.

They were shambolic, perhaps before the game they planned on hitting us on the break, but they couldn't do it, they can't pass, they can't shoot, they can't run with the ball, they can't create, they can't take free kicks, they can't take corners. They were abysmal.

What a pathetic performance from a so called "Premier League" club. This is meant to be an elite league, what I saw today makes me doubt that.

I've always stood up for Pulis on the grounds that he should play however he wants in order to get point on the board... but after today I cannot agree with that sentiment. There is no excuse for that gameplan. In a word they were ****.

I'm a Sunderland fan and we may well be going down this year but I swear to god I would take relegation if it meant we didn't have to play like THAT. Pathetic.

****ing pathetic.
Wow, you really are bitter. Any manager has the right to play in the way he sees fit. Pulis' job is to get as many points as possible with a very limited side - the team that started today probably cost us just over £5 million.

Yes, we played poorly, but there was nothing wrong with our tactics in themselves. We did not execute them very well in the attacking sense, but that was down to poor individual performances.

The beauty of football is that it is played in a variety of different ways. Our strategy in away games is generally to sit back, remain compact and break forward with pace on the wings. We didn't execute that well enough today, yet who should decide what 'Premier League' football is?

As it happens, I think you'll probably stay up, but posts like this represent a severe misunderstanding of circumstances and what football is about. There is no objective 'Premier League' style, and the beauty of the sport is that it is played in so many different ways. If Pulis wants to soak up pressure, not press high but spring on the counter, that is up to him. It was up for you to break us down.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Somebody get rid of that ****ing cap.
Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by gmj1892)
Wow, you really are bitter. Any manager has the right to play in the way he sees fit. Pulis' job is to get as many points as possible with a very limited side - the team that started today probably cost us just over £5 million.

Yes, we played poorly, but there was nothing wrong with our tactics in themselves. We did not execute them very well in the attacking sense, but that was down to poor individual performances.

The beauty of football is that it is played in a variety of different ways. Our strategy in away games is generally to sit back, remain compact and break forward with pace on the wings. We didn't execute that well enough today, yet who should decide what 'Premier League' football is?

As it happens, I think you'll probably stay up, but posts like this represent a severe misunderstanding of circumstances and what football is about. There is no objective 'Premier League' style, and the beauty of the sport is that it is played in so many different ways. If Pulis wants to soak up pressure, not press high but spring on the counter, that is up to him. It was up for you to break us down.
I'm not bitter about the result. Not at all. Had we won i'd feel the same. The tactics on display were an absolute joke, I swear to god I would be embarrassed if Sunderland played like that. A ten ton truck couldn't have broken that up, I don't even know why you bother paying footballers wages, any random 11 off the street could do what they did today.

Just coward tactics. They don't even play like that in League 2.
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
I'm not bitter about the result. Not at all. Had we won i'd feel the same. The tactics on display were an absolute joke, I swear to god I would be embarrassed if Sunderland played like that. A ten ton truck couldn't have broken that up, I don't even know why you bother paying footballers wages, any random 11 off the street could do what they did today.

Just coward tactics. They don't even play like that in League 2.
In his defence, the job of the manager is to get as many points on the board as possible. I'd rather play poor football and win scrappy 1-0 games every week than play attractive football and lose most games.
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well his team are fighting relegation....
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you haven't got the team which start of the season people pretty quickly concluded Palace haven't trying to play expansive, expressive football is just going to get you relegated. If Palace couldn't get at you on the counter, then what else is there that allows them to take some points. In the context of the season, away from home, its pretty smart to just play not to lose. 40 points from 38 games generally keeps you up, 29 points from 28 games atm. Getting those draw's away, and having a go at home is what will keep them in the PL. Palace have scored more than double as many at home, and picked up more than double the points. Not much to be gained for them away from home, especially when a draw denies their rivals.
Mastermind`
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, but he (and Stoke) really, really winds up Arsenal fans. That's enough to make him a good manager in my book.
TheMagicRat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
A ten ton truck couldn't have broken that up, I don't even know why you bother paying footballers wages, any random 11 off the street could do what they did today.
:lol: Completely underestimating the skill, discipline and effort required to play the way you've described.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)
Yes, but he (and Stoke) really, really winds up Arsenal fans. That's enough to make him a good manager in my book.
Seconded.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheMagicRat)
:lol: Completely underestimating the skill, discipline and effort required to play the way you've described.
The way Pulis' teams play is not difficult. It's a simple blend of discipline, concentration and shape, things that should be second nature to any professional footballer at premier league level.

My argument is not with Pulis' tactics, he is full entitled to play however he thinks will get the best result for his team, his Stoke team last year proved that he is entirely incapable of adapting to a more expansive style though. My problem is with him personally.

He constantly complains about refereeing decisions, moans about how rubbish his team is, is a sanctimonious little ****e when it comes to diving and game management tactics which he has no problem with his teams making use of and most of all he complains about the 'HUGE' difference in the money available to his teams to every other premier league team.

You see this doesn't really was when you take into account Crystal Palace have bought 18 players this year plus another 3 on loan. That is a hell of a lot of players who are all fairly average in quality. They also bought Florian Marange, who was released 6 months later because they didn't realise they had too many players and he couldn't be registered in their premier league squad, call me odd but I don't think you can complain about not having enough money to bring in new players when you have signed very nearly a full squad in 2 transfer windows.

(Original post by Mackay)
Somebody get rid of that ****ing cap.
... and this.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well, all of this won't matter if he keeps Palace up.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
He's not a terrible manager, though. Nowhere in the football rulebook does it say that you have to play exciting football. I feel bad for the fans that have to watch his teams play, but he gets his teams to stay compact and play efficiently. It's a tactic that kept Stoke in the league and he may do it with a team that everybody thought had no chance of staying in the PL.

At the end of the day, it's about winning. Doesn't matter how you do it. The problem is it'll be difficult for a team under him to be any better than a lower mid table team. If the goal is just to stay in the league, he's a great manager to employ. He was the perfect manager for Palace. They have very little talent and needed to stay defensively sound to have a chance of avoiding relegation.

I do understand not wanting to watch this type of football. As above, I feel bad for the fans that go and watch that every week. My enjoyment from football comes from the entertainment value and I wouldn't enjoy paying money to watch that. Still, winning is more important than playing a game that's nice to watch.
TheMagicRat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From the way OP has talked about the game I thought Palace did nothing all game, so imagine my surprise when I looked up the stats and Palace had 10 shots in the game and 5 on target.

(Original post by mojojojo101)
The way Pulis' teams play is not difficult. It's a simple blend of discipline, concentration and shape, things that should be second nature to any professional footballer at premier league level.
Why have you quoted me as though you disagree with me? OP said any 11 people can do it. I basically said they can't. You agree.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheMagicRat)
Why have you quoted me as though you disagree with me? OP said any 11 people can do it. I basically said they can't. You agree.
Because any 11 people can do it, it really is that easy. Admittedly it requires an amount of training and practice so each individual knows what they are supposed to be doing, that doesn't make it difficult.

As a comparison, take tiki-taka, which in addition to the training and practice element also requires players who have the footballing intelligence to know when and where to release the ball, a skill that is not ubiquitous.
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)

****ing pathetic.
This is very silly are you expecting a relegation fighting team to play Barcelona pass around football. Crystal Palace in general are very limited in terms of players, I don't think any of their players can play expansive football. So Pulis is doing the best he can with the players he's got.
Kim-Jong-Illest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)
so much lol, i dont think i ever get mad about a team/managers tactics as much as Stoke or Pulis. It does its job though.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So basically, you're mad because he didn't set up in a way which would allow you to beat him?
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol. Pulis has turned Palace around, they'd be long gone without him. Chelsea won the CL by sticking everyone behind the ball, it's effective.

It's just one of many playstyles, not everyone will like them all. I think Barcelona are one of the most boring teams around but they apparently play football how it's supposed to be played.
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I rate him. Palace were 1/14 at one point to go down. He's got them up to 6/4. His impact cannot be understated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads