The Student Room Group

How will the Scottish Independence effect the Civil Service?

What are your thoughts on this article? Will the Civil Service not be effected at all by the Scottish Independence?
Reply 1
:bump:
Original post by Khodu
What are your thoughts on this article? Will the Civil Service not be effected at all by the Scottish Independence?

They'll be an awful lot of redundancies in scotland.....don't worry about it though as they'll be easily hidden with the other redundancies.
Reply 3
Not exactly the most exciting of questions!

The civil servants linked to the Scottish Government effectively function as a department, headed by a Permanent Secretary. They could split off quite easily - and it would be the new Scottish Civil Service which would have no deal with the problems of setting up a new state.

In terms of civil servants in Scotland working for UK Government bodies, then things are a tad more difficult. Many, like DWP employers in Jobcentres or HMRC employees in Scotland could transfer over to Scottish bodies, barring some at the top who would stay on with the UK Government.

However when it comes to some departments with a relatively heavy footprint in Scotland: DFID being a major one, the MOD of course too, and agencies like SOCA or the Security Service. Again, some of them will remain employed in the UK Government - mainly the higher-end staff. But for people with relatively mundane jobs, I imagine plenty of them will be made redundant and recruitment will begin in England, Wales or Northern Ireland to replace those who continue to be necessary.

The Scotland Office, in London and Edinburgh, is relatively small and administratively integrated into the Ministry of Justice anyway. Its disappearance would make little difference.

I don't think it'd be a major upheaval for the UK Civil Service. In many ways, though, a Scottish one would have to build up several services from scratch.
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
They'll be an awful lot of redundancies in scotland.....don't worry about it though as they'll be easily hidden with the other redundancies.

Why?

If anything I'd have thought there would need for hiring.

The current civil service wouldn't need reducing and really would need bolstering to do the negotiations.

Then management management would be needed for some incoming departaments such as Revenue Scotland and the DWP equivalent. MoD, UKBA, FCO and DVLA equiavlents would be required from scratch.

I can only really see DFID redundancies since there is a disprotionatately high number of UK Civil Servants in Scotland for that department, but many would return back to Whitehall and of the rest there would be more than enough jobs to reabsorb them.
Original post by Quady
Why?

If anything I'd have thought there would need for hiring.

The current civil service wouldn't need reducing and really would need bolstering to do the negotiations.

Then management management would be needed for some incoming departaments such as Revenue Scotland and the DWP equivalent. MoD, UKBA, FCO and DVLA equiavlents would be required from scratch.

I can only really see DFID redundancies since there is a disprotionatately high number of UK Civil Servants in Scotland for that department, but many would return back to Whitehall and of the rest there would be more than enough jobs to reabsorb them.

Areas such as MOD and UkTI are over represented in Scotland. There's no need for them.

Although new civil service posts would be needed, the numbers and skill set aren't likely to be matched.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending