The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

People studying Textile Design at Chelsea!!!

Hi,

I've just got into Chelsea for Textile Design, which I'm thrilled about because it's my top choice! However, I saw a couple of scary google reviews talking about how rubbish the teaching is etc so I wanted to find out from people there how they find/found the course!

Any information and opinions will be welcomed :biggrin:

Thank you,
Lara
Original post by LaraRhiannon
Hi,

I've just got into Chelsea for Textile Design, which I'm thrilled about because it's my top choice! However, I saw a couple of scary google reviews talking about how rubbish the teaching is etc so I wanted to find out from people there how they find/found the course!

Thank you,
Lara

How long ago was your interview and when did you get accepted? I had my interview on the 25th of this month so just wondering when you think they will get back to me or other applicants? :colondollar:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hi,

Thank you,
Lara

How long ago was your interview and when did you get accepted? I had my interview on the 25th of this month so just wondering when you think they will get back to me or other applicants? :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by jadepearldulam

just been accepted to chelsea this afternoon - stressful wait for a reply - has any one else been offered a place at LCF as i really can't decide between the two. not a position i thought i'd end up in!
I got an offer from chelsea yesterday but one of my friends got one three weeks ago. I really want to g but I'm worried its too conceptual for me and I'm stuck between Chelsea and Leeds as I'm more printed textiles. I wasn't that impressed with LCF... Help!
http://mychelseatextilesdegree.tumblr.com/ - this is a blog of someone who attends Chelsea in their first year now..
Reply 6
Original post by Tabithaglaysher
I got an offer from chelsea yesterday but one of my friends got one three weeks ago. I really want to g but I'm worried its too conceptual for me and I'm stuck between Chelsea and Leeds as I'm more printed textiles. I wasn't that impressed with LCF... Help!

I think if you really want to get your foot in the door and work hard Chelsea is definitely the place, my friend studies there and the work they churn out is really original and I think you'll get a better idea of your own creative personality as opposed to a more technical course - london is the place to be really if you want to meet contacts etc and emmerse yourself in a course. But then again I haven't heard much about Leeds and never been there so it could be a good fit for you, Chelsea is intimate whereas Leeds is pretty big so more of a secondary course as opposed to a lead course at Chelsea :smile: Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by Tabithaglaysher

I'm in a similar position, I can't decide which college to pick either as at the moment I am interested in printed textiles for interiors, however it was suggested to me on the open day that Chelsea is more textiles for fashion...

I'm from Leeds and doing my foundation at Leeds, so I'm having a tough time deciding! All of my friends(who don't do textiles) keep saying Chelsea because it is in London but i'm worried about expense too! Everyone at college keeps giving mixed responses as to which is the best place to study textiles! I'm stuck between Chelsea, Leeds college of art and Glasgow school of art! I really don't know which to pick!

Does anyone know a bit about the amount of tutorials they give students at Chelsea and Glasgow?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Jessfoxeh
I'm in a similar position, I can't decide which college to pick either as at the moment I am interested in printed textiles for interiors, however it was suggested to me on the open day that Chelsea is more textiles for fashion...

I'm from Leeds and doing my foundation at Leeds, so I'm having a tough time deciding! All of my friends(who don't do textiles) keep saying Chelsea because it is in London but i'm worried about expense too! Everyone at college keeps giving mixed responses as to which is the best place to study textiles! I'm stuck between Chelsea, Leeds college of art and Glasgow school of art! I really don't know which to pick!

Does anyone know a bit about the amount of tutorials they give students at Chelsea and Glasgow?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi, initially at chelsea you will get a relatively good amount of contact time I believe after asking the tutor during the interview process but I think it's more intense than other courses as it's more artistic and creative - as opposed to the textiles mold of other courses. I study foundation here in London at the moment and it's no more expensive than 'up north' (I'm from cheshire/manchester) just accommodation is more pricey but our Loans cover that so no worries there. London really is the place to be if you want to study art in the UK. I hope this helps..? I know that you start off on the course by looking around London for inspiration and get countless drawing classes to help you find your identity much like foundation :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by conconriess
Hi, initially at chelsea you will get a relatively good amount of contact time I believe after asking the tutor during the interview process but I think it's more intense than other courses as it's more artistic and creative - as opposed to the textiles mold of other courses. I study foundation here in London at the moment and it's no more expensive than 'up north' (I'm from cheshire/manchester) just accommodation is more pricey but our Loans cover that so no worries there. London really is the place to be if you want to study art in the UK. I hope this helps..? I know that you start off on the course by looking around London for inspiration and get countless drawing classes to help you find your identity much like foundation :smile:

Ahh thank you so much!! I've already decided that I am going to go to Chelsea, I'm also from Cheshire and I was kinda freaking out about being far away from things like my cat/boyfriend (seriously :wink: ) but london is the best place to be!! Looking forward to starting now :biggrin:
Heyyy I've also accepted my offer at Chelsea for BA Textile Design! I'm quite nervous though as i have read some really bad reviews recently :/ a lot of people say that you don't get any contact time. I went to the summer degree show which was amazing! although i thought a lot was knit based, all stunning though!
Are people staying in halls??
Original post by StephThomas

Are people staying in halls??

I am!! Staying in camberwell, where are you staying and when are you moving in? :biggrin:

Also, don't know if you've already joined or not but there's a FB group for us Chelsea Textile Folks - https://www.facebook.com/groups/790317531010759/
Reply 12
Just reading through these and wonder, 5 years on, how Chelsea was for you. My daughter is about to apply to Chelsea or CSM and she’s unsure which to choose for textiles.
Reply 13
Hi,

Thank you,
Lara

So, 5 years on, how did it go? My daughter is toying with Chelsea or CSM and is unsure. Did it work out well?!
Original post by Sam1973
So, 5 years on, how did it go? My daughter is toying with Chelsea or CSM and is unsure. Did it work out well?!

Hi I’m in the same situation, did your daughter manage to decide? I don’t know which to choose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending