The Student Room Group

Got five rejections :(

Hello,

I applied this year for Bsc Economics to five unis and got rejected from all of them. :frown:

To be honest I am not surprised as my grades were lower than most of required grades.
My predicted grades are ABB and I applied to:

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Queen Mary
City

Now before you ask why the hell did you apply to such competitive unis with such weak grades, well because I don't want to go to a weak uni as I was always a straight A student (sorry if it sounds cocky) but screwed up my AS exams due to several personal reasons which are now not important.
I will most probably take a gap year or try adjustment if I get excellent grades this summer. (I am resitting whole of AS alongside A2 exams this summer and working very hard to achieve top grades).

The biggest problem I have now is explaining my parents why I got rejected from all of the universities since they have huge expectations for me. (they expect me to go to LSE or a similar uni).
I feel my whole life collapsed suddenly...

Can anyone offer any advice or help with my situation?

Thank you. :smile:

Cliffs for the lazy:

-was always a top student throughout IGCSE and AS
-screwed up AS exams due to personal reasons not telling parents I screwed up
-got rejected by all five unis
-parents still know nothing of this and think I'll certainly get into LSE or similar

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry, but you should have applied for some universities with lower requirements, especially if you knew you were only predicted ABB. I just looked at LSE and they want A*AA. Your best bet would be to do resits and apply again next year.
I can appreciate being optimistic but you have to be more realistic. In this situation, your pride got in the way of your application and now you'll probably be under a lot of pressure to get higher grades when take your final exams.

Good luck with your next set of exams but if you don't do well enough for those universities, be more realistic with your options.

With regards to your parents, just be honest and hope for the best. No point putting the blame on the university.
Reply 3
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I can appreciate being optimistic but you have to be more realistic. In this situation, your pride got in the way of your application and now you'll probably be under a lot of pressure to get higher grades when take your final exams.

Good luck with your next set of exams but if you don't do well enough for those universities, be more realistic with your options.

With regards to your parents, just be honest and hope for the best. No point putting the blame on the university.

It is not really about pride, it is repaying parents all the money they spent on sending me to study in the UK. (I am not British)
I had the chance to get into a top uni but I failed, and now I have another chance which I will seize.
Try Extra? I'm not exactly sure how it works so you'll have to read the small print but you might have a shot at getting into a good uni even with those grades.
Also, your parents are paying for your education so they deserve to know. Lying to keeping quiet about it will only make it worse when the whole truth comes out. Talk to them about your options because they might be able to help.
Why not try extra? There are loads of good universities that do economics this year that you could try including; Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle, york, Sheffield. Durham is even offering economics with foundation so low entry requirements for one of the best unis in the country.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Why not try extra? There are loads of good universities that do economics this year that you could try including; Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle, york, Sheffield. Durham is even offering economics with foundation so low entry requirements for one of the best unis in the country.

OP needs to be aware that the Extra lists are not accurate. Extra is the default setting for Ucas and they put all courses in automatically, leaving it up to the universities to remove courses which are not available, and that's not a priority for them. I agree Extra is the next step for OP but he must call first to check that the course exists. Straight economics is a massively popular course and there may not actually be much out there at all.
Reply 7
What subjects are you doing? If you really wanna go to the likes of LSE, gap year it is since economics im sure wont appear in readjustment.

Just be aware that this could go against you potentially when you reapply.

(not to sound like a jackass, but being a straight A student you probably should have known that ABB predictions / ABB or below actual AS grades was never ever gonna cut it at your top 3 universties)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
What subjects are you doing? If you really wanna go to the likes of LSE, gap year it is since economics im sure wont appear in readjustment.

Just be aware that this could go against you potentially when you reapply.

Also OP is not eligible for adjustment anyway, as he doesn't hold a firm offer which he can meet and exceed.
Reply 9
Well you obviously should tell your parents everything. They may be disappointed, but they will want to support you, so you can't keep them in the dark.
Reply 10
Original post by NeoXx
Hello,

I applied this year for Bsc Economics to five unis and got rejected from all of them. :frown:

To be honest I am not surprised as my grades were lower than most of required grades.

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Queen Mary
City

Now before you ask why the hell did you apply to such competitive unis with such weak grades, well because I don't want to go to a weak uni as I was always a straight A student (sorry if it sounds cocky) but screwed up my AS exams due to several personal reasons which are now not important.
I will most probably take a gap year or try adjustment if I get excellent grades this summer. (I am resitting whole of AS alongside A2 exams this summer and working very hard to achieve top grades).

The biggest problem I have now is explaining my parents why I got rejected from all of the universities since they have huge expectations for me. (they expect me to go to LSE or a similar uni).

Cliffs for the lazy:

-parents still know nothing of this and think I'll certainly get into LSE or similar

No no offence but UCL, Warwick and LSE - you had no chance. Queen Mary seems reasonable but you are way better than City, why would they reject you, my friend got into there with only GCSEs, maybe you should contact City, sometimes it's a mistake.
Reply 11
Original post by NeoXx
Hello,

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Queen Mary
City

Cliffs for the lazy:

What are your GCSEs?

GCSEs are very easy compared to A-level.

Getting straight As and A*s in GCSEs doesn't mean you can get into these universities. What they care about are AS and A-level grades.

People in my school who got straight As in GCSE got Bs, Cs and Ds at AS.

GCSEs are so easy (compared to AS and A2) that they affect your application very insignificantly compared to AS and A2 (on most courses).

Yes, you will probably need to take a gap year if you want to get into a good university.

However, if you happen to boss out your AS and A2 results through hardwork and very efficient revision (revision method is important), then it is possible that these universities will give you an offer without you having to take a gap year.

Good luck.
Original post by NeoXx
Hello,

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Queen Mary
City

Cliffs for the lazy:

To be honest I think you need to come clean to your parents about you AS results furthermore like everyone else is sayings it's probs best to resit some of them if you really want to go to unis such as LSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
dudeee.
it's fine don't worry, it'll work out
try as hard as you can, study sooo hard and get the A*/A's
they have adjustment on results day and a few days after
so basically, if you get higher than your firm choice, you're put on adjustment
economics will 100% be on that
work hard
Gap Year, apply for unconditional, assuming you can get A/A*s.
Reply 15
Original post by pureandmodest
dudeee.
work hard

The problem is he doesn't have 'firm' offer. Its all rejections.
shame
Reply 17
Original post by NeoXx
Hello,

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Queen Mary
City

Cliffs for the lazy:

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your rejections. As far as I can see you have three options:

UCAS Extra

Wait till summer and go through adjustment

Apply again next year

Hope that helps :smile:
dudeee.
work hard

If you read the title and the post, you will see that OP doesn't have any offers, never mind a firm, so is not eligible for adjustment.
dudeee.
work hard

You have to meet and exceed your firm offer to be eligible for Adjustment. No offers = you can't use Adjustment.

Economics will in all likelihood be in Adjustment, but the odds of it being in Adjustment at LSE and UCL are zero. Both LSE and UCL state that they don't use Adjustment, and I very much doubt economics at Warwick will have any spaces either. Though this is moot if OP doesn't have a firm offer anyway.

Extra is the next step, and then potentially Adjustment if OP gets an offer in Extra and then meets and exceeds the conditions. Failing that, go to choice from Extra, look around in Clearing, or gap year + reapply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending