The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

whats the diffrence between a grant and Bursary?
The Munt of Contecristo
Well, I'm usually given £5000 a week, and £5000 extra if I wash some of the cars. However, sometimes I just pay the servants £200 to keep their mouth shut and wash them themselves - works like a charm! I earn my allowance fair and square. Of course, if I want to make a purchase for something expensive like a Bentley, or perhaps publish another book of my own poetry, it can be extended somewhat.

Well im going to neg rep you because you can afford to buy pos rep off of someone :p: (joking btw)
Reply 62
loopymeg
It would depend on which bracket you fall into. You said that you're close to the last bracket - well, I fall into the lowest income bracket, so I'm entitled to the maximum. Sorry.

No offence was intended, I apologise if I did offend you.
Reply 63
King Leigh
No offence was intended, I apologise if I did offend you.

Don't worry about it. You haven't offended me, although there's some kid complaining in the Finance thread because he doesn't understand why lower income people get more help :rolleyes:
loopymeg
Don't worry about it. You have offended me, although there's some kid complaining in the Finance thread because he doesn't understand why lower income people get more help :rolleyes:

I understand why lower income people get a larger loan, maybe your parents cants afford to help you with living costs, however i think its unfair that you dont have to pay uni fees!

When i get out of uni im going to have loads of loans to pay off and people whos parents have less money then mine wont have very large loans because of the burseries yet its not like my parents are going to pay off my loan, and once we are at work, our income wont depend on how much our parents earn so why should other people have to pay less for uni when at the time of repayment they are about as likely to earn more then us, then we are liekly to earn more then them!
i don't get an allowance, and I haven't done for some years... Having said that, my mum does occasionally buy me an item of clothing. However, i like being independant, and I don't really like asking mum for anything, because, after all, she does keep a roof above my head, lol.
Reply 66
*titanium*
i think its unfair that you dont have to pay uni fees!

OK, maybe you worded it wrong, but whaddya mean that we don't have to pay uni fees?! For your information, I still have to pay the tuition fees, just like you, my friend.
The only difference is that I get a bit of a grant and bursary, which replaces a large chunk of my maintenance loan. If you would like to know why the Government does this, then maybe you should ask them directly.

*titanium*
When i get out of uni im going to have loads of loans to pay off and people whos parents have less money then mine wont have very large loans because of the burseries yet its not like my parents are going to pay off my loan, and once we are at work, our income wont depend on how much our parents earn so why should other people have to pay less for uni when at the time of repayment they are about as likely to earn more then us, then we are liekly to earn more then them!

If it makes you feel any better, then you can keep in mind that I'll be leaving university with a debt of at least £30k, although probably quite a bit more.
Reply 67
I get no money , but it works on the lines of:

Me: Dad/ Mum I need xyz.
Parent: How much is it?
Me: Price
Parent: Is it really essential?
Me: Yes/No
If yes
Parent: Can you get it cheaper?
Me: Yes- get it from there No - Here is some cash.

Although its not often like this. Clothes, food, technology usually ok.
stopped getting pocket money at age 14, and for a short while i was getting £15 a week which equates to £1 a day school dinner money and so £40 a month spending money. didn't last long tho. however my brother is almost 16 and still gets pocket money - feel slightly cheated! saying that though, i don't think i could take cash off my parents like that. them paying for uni acccommodation is another matter :-/ (one which i still feel guilty about).
i get £2 a day but now my mum pays for my driving so i dont get any

Latest

Trending

Trending