The Student Room Group

NHS bursary HELP! Pre registration Physiotherapy MSc

Hi there

I'm just looking into applying in Jan'15 for the pre registration physiotherapy msc starting Sept 15. I am currently in australia for a year Jan '14 till Jan'15, actually on an international student visa (Doing a diploma), I am worried this will mean my UK residency is interrupted? I still have my bank account etc at home so will this prove I'm only temporarily away?

I am also worried I would be seen as dependant of my parents, I have worked and travelled for a couple of months since finishing uni in summer 2012 so can show passport stamps and pay slips but I have not had any other addresses in my name apart from living with parents. I will be 28yrs old when I start the course! They cannot expect my parents to financially support me at that age?!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks
Reply 1
Unfortunately as you will not have lived in this country three years prior to your course start date, I am afraid to be bearer of bad news but you will not be eligible for the bursary. Sorry
Reply 2
just saw your post indirectly by searching for something else.

Animbom is incorrect. As your were studying in Australia, that will probably mean that you were on a student visa or something similar. Which means that your ' UK residency' is NOT affected. Its similar to people taking a gap year before going off to university and travelling on a work visa.

Im in a similar situation to you and Ive spoken to NHS Bursary team and they allow temporary absences from the UK, phone them to confirm this information. I was told that cases like ours are done on a case by case basis but the chances of us NOT getting the bursary are very small. I would still apply to the universities, then apply to get your bursary. You have nothing except a little time to lose.

Im in a similar situation to you. Im 27 and spent a year and half (one and off) working overseas because I struggled to find work here in the UK. And to me it would be ridiculous that someone could be born here, spend 25 out of their 27 years here, return to the UK and not be entitled to the bursary. When someone else not born here, could arrive at here, perhaps not work but manage to survive for 3 years and then be entitled to NHS bursary!

If your still stuck or worried speak to the National careers service. They were great. Good Luck !

Quick Reply

Latest