What's the best way to revise for CCEA AS HISTORY?

Watch
ScienceConfusion
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Should I focus more on exam technique or knowledge? We do Russia and Germany and even though I'd revise the topic, I'd go in to class to do a timed essay and not scoring in the top band since I find it hard to structure the essay and remember the most relevant points, dates and quotes. I'm particularly scoring lower in source questions since my exam technique isn't good and I don't know how to remember quotes/dates/events to score highly in interpretation and knowledge. I need an A this year to set me up for a2 and there are no jan repeats. Please could anyone give me any tips on how to revise and get more marks in papers? Thanks a lot
Mulechild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same boat. What I'm planning to do is this:
1. Find topic on specification and course companion
2. Collect all info on that topic from notes, textbook, internet etc.
3. Write notes on everything the specification asks, and sprinkle it with dates, names and figures for extra illustration in exa,
4. Revise

Revision is really individualised. I just read it out to myself repeatedly until I can remember it. Some people just rewrite out notes until they can remember others just draw mindmaps. I know a guy who records himself speaking all his notes and then listens to it when he has a moment spare. Acronyms are really helpful if you have average memory and you should look up the "Roman Room" technique. And good diet/adequate sleep all play a big part in long term memory

At this stage you should just spend a weekend intensively doing past papers to improve exam technique, and once that sorted just pack on the knowledge. I need a hand for Germany more than anything else but Inthink I'm fine for Russia.

Russian Question 1: aim for 8 points
Russian Question 2: intro, points supporting proposition, points against proposition, conclusion.

Hope this helps
ScienceConfusion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Mulechild)
I'm in the same boat. What I'm planning to do is this:
1. Find topic on specification and course companion
2. Collect all info on that topic from notes, textbook, internet etc.
3. Write notes on everything the specification asks, and sprinkle it with dates, names and figures for extra illustration in exa,
4. Revise

Revision is really individualised. I just read it out to myself repeatedly until I can remember it. Some people just rewrite out notes until they can remember others just draw mindmaps. I know a guy who records himself speaking all his notes and then listens to it when he has a moment spare. Acronyms are really helpful if you have average memory and you should look up the "Roman Room" technique. And good diet/adequate sleep all play a big part in long term memory

At this stage you should just spend a weekend intensively doing past papers to improve exam technique, and once that sorted just pack on the knowledge. I need a hand for Germany more than anything else but Inthink I'm fine for Russia.

Russian Question 1: aim for 8 points
Russian Question 2: intro, points supporting proposition, points against proposition, conclusion.

Hope this helps
Thanks so much, only seeing this now! Yes I agree, also think it depends hugely on what comes up. Germany is harder and on sooner, do you have any predictions for Germany? I'm only really revising what hasn't been up in ages. So anything else and I'm screwed!! For the source, maybe opposition? Though obv it's unpredictable. Thank you!
Mulechild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know, it doesn't make sense: Germany is only 40% of the course but requires more detail and has more complicated exam technique than Russia, which is 60%. I think my history teacher is predicting the economy for the 12 marker and opposition and resistance for the 35 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScienceConfusion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Mulechild)
I know, it doesn't make sense: Germany is only 40% of the course but requires more detail and has more complicated exam technique than Russia, which is 60%. I think my history teacher is predicting the economy for the 12 marker and opposition and resistance for the 35 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaaaaah I'd love if they came up!! Also make sure to look at threats to Weimar and the early years, fall of Weimar since its the next most likely as a source. And the Nazi economy as a 12 marker is good news. For Russia, the October manifesto/tsar's own actions in his survival is basically a certainty for qu one (22) by the way since it never comes up. And for the (8) The RJ War question. Sort of glad that Russia is worth more since sources are my down fall, but it does make little sense! Good luck anyway, and thanks for answering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (131)
30.05%
No (305)
69.95%

Watched Threads