npt0608
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, if anyone is taking any of the following courses, please message me with your opinions on them
I have applied to UCL and Birmingham Liberal Art courses and Durham Combined honors in Arts, and I'm in a dilemma with which course to choose:

UCL:
Pros: - good rep, its in London so i'll have a lot of opportunities, there are more events, concerts, basically a lot more things to do, i'd have to push myself out of my comfort zone and i think that would be good for me

Cons: 50% of the coursework is the core modules so i don't have much freedom with my choices, London is expensive as frick frack, a lot of people i know are going there and for personal reasons, i'd like to go somewhere that i don't know anybody

Birmingham:
Pros: good course, i get to do a year abroad via Erasmus exchange program, nice city, not London but pretty close in terms of events and diversity, less expensive

Cons: rather new course (2014 is the second year), only 30 students and tbh i'm not that excited about living here although everything about sounds great

Durham:
Pros: the city and school is so nice and beautful, lovee the collegiate system, i already got accepted into my preferred college (which is also the best/most competative college to get into)
Cons: it's not much of a big change from the lifestyle that i'm living in right now and Durham is in the middle of nowhere so there's far less stuff to do compared to the other 2 cities.

All opinions on these school/courses are much appreciated!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I were applying now (rather than decades ago!) the BASc at UCL would be my number one choice. I think that the 50% compulsory core is one of the main attractions of the course because those modules would help bring everything together in a coherent fashion. Completely free mixed honours degrees can end up looking a bit random... A bit of 19th century philosophy, some ancient history, a module on post-modern art etc etc etc...
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by npt0608)
Hi, if anyone is taking any of the following courses, please message me with your opinions on them
I have applied to UCL and Birmingham Liberal Art courses and Durham Combined honors in Arts, and I'm in a dilemma with which course to choose:

UCL:
Pros: - good rep, its in London so i'll have a lot of opportunities, there are more events, concerts, basically a lot more things to do, i'd have to push myself out of my comfort zone and i think that would be good for me

Cons: 50% of the coursework is the core modules so i don't have much freedom with my choices, London is expensive as frick frack, a lot of people i know are going there and for personal reasons, i'd like to go somewhere that i don't know anybody

Birmingham:
Pros: good course, i get to do a year abroad via Erasmus exchange program, nice city, not London but pretty close in terms of events and diversity, less expensive

Cons: rather new course (2014 is the second year), only 30 students and tbh i'm not that excited about living here although everything about sounds great

Durham:
Pros: the city and school is so nice and beautful, lovee the collegiate system, i already got accepted into my preferred college (which is also the best/most competative college to get into)
Cons: it's not much of a big change from the lifestyle that i'm living in right now and Durham is in the middle of nowhere so there's far less stuff to do compared to the other 2 cities.

It sounds like you've pretty much decided against Birmingham. Personally, I would prefer the atmosphere of Durham, but if you're looking for something new, go for UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by npt0608)

UCL:

Birmingham:

Durham:

I'd say choose it on what suits your needs best, not the place. What do you specifically want to major/minor in?

I have an offer for Liberal Arts at Birmingham myself, and what I liked about it was its flexibility. I would of loved to apply for UCL if there was more choice and not 'select pathways' and compulsory language modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads