The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Was Manchester University in clearing for 2013?

For any business courses, like Business Administration or International Business Management? Is there anyway to find out/know?
Original post by i-love-coffee
For any business courses, like Business Administration or International Business Management? Is there anyway to find out/know?

Manchester doesn't have a business admin course - the full list of business related courses that the uni offers is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2014/bysubject/?index=BU

Most courses were in Clearing in 2013, but some were only open to international students, and all (or very nearly all) of the rest were only open to students with ABB+. Essentially, it was the university trying to get some additional bums on seats that wouldn't cause problems in terms of the numbers of students that they're allowed to take.

However, what happened in previous years bears no relation to what will happen in future years - it can change SO much, and Clearing last year was rather unusual in terms of the wide range of courses on offer and the quality of candidates that unis were willing to take. Do also be aware that unis are known to reject candidates who have missed their offer and then go into Clearing because they think they can find better candidates there, so if you want to go to Manchester the only way to guarantee your place is to get the grades.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Manchester doesn't have a business admin course - the full list of business related courses that the uni offers is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2014/bysubject/?index=BU

Most courses were in Clearing in 2013, but some were only open to international students, and all (or very nearly all) of the rest were only open to students with ABB+. Essentially, it was the university trying to get some additional bums on seats that wouldn't cause problems in terms of the numbers of students that they're allowed to take.

However, what happened in previous years bears no relation to what will happen in future years - it can change SO much, and Clearing last year was rather unusual in terms of the wide range of courses on offer and the quality of candidates that unis were willing to take. Do also be aware that unis are known to reject candidates who have missed their offer and then go into Clearing because they think they can find better candidates there, so if you want to go to Manchester the only way to guarantee your place is to get the grades.

Thanks, I know that Manch. has no exact BBA courses but I love the others.

It's interesting to hear that they were in clearing to add ABB+ seats. I'm in a situation where I already have my grades (ABB) and have some international work experience. They ask for AAB for the course I want to do and I wondered whether it was worth a shot at applying because the course is in UCAS Extra.
Thanks, I know that Manch. has no exact BBA courses but I love the others.

It's interesting to hear that they were in clearing to add ABB+ seats. I'm in a situation where I already have my grades (ABB) and have some international work experience. They ask for AAB for the course I want to do and I wondered whether it was worth a shot at applying because the course is in UCAS Extra.

Extra isn't always accurate - the default position is that courses are put into Extra unless the uni tells UCAS not to. So, you get a lot of courses that look available but aren't really.

However, I believe that as you've already got an offer from UoM, if you're certain that you would rather do the new course, you should email them to ask if you can change to the new course. They may say yes, or they may say no, but if they say no you'll still be able to keep your existing offer, so it's a no-risk strategy.

Do be aware that to go through Extra (or Clearing), you'd have to give up all your existing offers, so Extra / Clearing is quite a high risk strategy.
Reply 4
Extra isn't always accurate - the default position is that courses are put into Extra unless the uni tells UCAS not to. So, you get a lot of courses that look available but aren't really.

However, I believe that as you've already got an offer from UoM, if you're certain that you would rather do the new course, you should email them to ask if you can change to the new course. They may say yes, or they may say no, but if they say no you'll still be able to keep your existing offer, so it's a no-risk strategy.

Do be aware that to go through Extra (or Clearing), you'd have to give up all your existing offers, so Extra / Clearing is quite a high risk strategy.

My original offer isn't with Manchester, it's with QMUL. And I know I have to reject my offer to apply via Extra, so I will call up Manchester tomorrow to check it is ok to apply. I just have no idea of the result!

Do you know whether if I went to a below national average school that it counts as extenuating circumstances?
My original offer isn't with Manchester, it's with QMUL. And I know I have to reject my offer to apply via Extra, so I will call up Manchester tomorrow to check it is ok to apply. I just have no idea of the result!

Do you know whether if I went to a below national average school that it counts as extenuating circumstances?

Ah sorry, my mistake. Ring them up tomorrow and ask - but do be certain that this is the path you want to take before you commit to anything.

The details on how they use contextual data is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/
Reply 6
Ah sorry, my mistake. Ring them up tomorrow and ask - but do be certain that this is the path you want to take before you commit to anything.

The details on how they use contextual data is here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/afteryouapply/assessment/contextual-data/

They said they would accept my Extra application, but when I called UCAS they said I am not allowed to apply via Extra because I hold an unconditional offer :frown: So ridiculous
They said they would accept my Extra application, but when I called UCAS they said I am not allowed to apply via Extra because I hold an unconditional offer :frown: So ridiculous

That's how Extra works I'm afraid - you'd have to give up any offers that you currently hold to enter Extra, but if Manchester have said that they will take you (FGS get this in writing) then you'll be fine.
Reply 8
That's how Extra works I'm afraid - you'd have to give up any offers that you currently hold to enter Extra, but if Manchester have said that they will take you (FGS get this in writing) then you'll be fine.

yes I understand that, but they said if even if gave up my offer, I can't enter extra because it was an unconditional.
yes I understand that, but they said if even if gave up my offer, I can't enter extra because it was an unconditional.

That's very odd - I've never heard that one before. You didn't firm it did you?

If you didn't firm it, I'll check with some other mods (it wouldn't be the first time that UCAS has got something wrong).
That's very odd - I've never heard that one before. You didn't firm it did you?

If you didn't firm it, I'll check with some other mods (it wouldn't be the first time that UCAS has got something wrong).

Thanks for your help.

And I did firm it :/ but surely if I got QM to release me then I'd be eligible? Apparently not. I think by the time I have this sorted the course won't even be on Extra anymore.
Thanks for your help.

And I did firm it :/ but surely if I got QM to release me then I'd be eligible? Apparently not. I think by the time I have this sorted the course won't even be on Extra anymore.

Ah.

In that case you can't enter Extra, it's too late - but it's not because it's unconditional, it's because you firmed them.

The best that you can hope for is that Manchester will be available in Clearing / Adjustment this summer. If not, you'll either have to go to QMUL or reapply next year, I'm afraid.
Is geology ever in clearing at manchester???
Original post by ZeroCardsHaha
Is geology ever in clearing at manchester???

I don't know specifically about geology, but I'll reiterate what I said in post #2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending