Mythicshard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I've had an interview with king edwards Stourbridge, all went well but after the interview my father showed me some threads on this website about how bad the college is and how you don't make friends and how the facilities are terrible.

I'm not going to believe it until I hear from someone there myself, so is it really that bad that you don't make friends? And how are the art and science facilities? To be honest I'm having second thoughts about going there, especially that none of my friends are applying.
*ANA*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! I'm currently in year 13 at king eds. The college is not as bad as you think. I went to the college not knowing anyone and soon made lots of friends, everyone is so nice and in the same boat. Facilities wise, all subjects provide loads of support in and out of lessons. Most teachers are friendly and really care about you as a person and are willing to help with anything. Going to King eds was the best decision I made
Mythicshard
Rep:
?
(Original post by *ANA*)
Hi! I'm currently in year 13 at king eds. The college is not as bad as you think. I went to the college not knowing anyone and soon made lots of friends, everyone is so nice and in the same boat. Facilities wise, all subjects provide loads of support in and out of lessons. Most teachers are friendly and really care about you as a person and are willing to help with anything. Going to King eds was the best decision I made
Thanks for the reassurance, I've weighed out my options and decided that king edwards is the best bet for me as none of the other colleges I've applied to seem to give off the same vibe as king edwards, king edwards seems a lot friendlier and welcoming than the others
*ANA*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your welcome! Good luck with your exams
serebro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mythicshard)
Hi I've had an interview with king edwards Stourbridge, all went well but after the interview my father showed me some threads on this website about how bad the college is and how you don't make friends and how the facilities are terrible.

I'm not going to believe it until I hear from someone there myself, so is it really that bad that you don't make friends? And how are the art and science facilities? To be honest I'm having second thoughts about going there, especially that none of my friends are applying.
I recommend you don't go there but its your choice.

I got into there last year, and it was awful. I pulled out and went back to school, which despite everyone telling me not to, was the best decision I ever made. I left a lot of my friends there and they don't seem to be enjoying it if I'm honest.

For me here was the issues I had with the place:

- Teachers weren't that great, and although you're on a first-name terms with them, there's too many students for you get a 1:1 time with them. Plus if you do ever get 1:1, they don't turn up.

- They make you sign up to all these extra circulars, which look good, but when you're doing your A-Levels you're better off spending that time studying.

- Cramped! It was ridiculously hard to get down the corridors. Then the classrooms are small, yet they pack as many people in as they can. It's very uncomfortable.

- Teachers have been known to take long leaves off, meaning you have to learn by yourself.

I don't want this to sway your judgement entirely, since it has a good reputation. But seriously going for a look round when college is in session, or go to the welcome to college day if possible.

The main reason people go to King Eds is that they want the reputation. My friends who stayed there are really regretting their decision and want to move back to school sixth form or go to a different college. In terms of grades, my friends at sixth form seem to be outperforming my friends that went to King Eds, which is quite surprising but it's worth noting that.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to ask any questions.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they have the best a level results in dudley, i think your dad is high
Mythicshard
Rep:
?
(Original post by serebro)
I recommend you don't go there but its your choice.

I got into there last year, and it was awful. I pulled out and went back to school, which despite everyone telling me not to, was the best decision I ever made. I left a lot of my friends there and they don't seem to be enjoying it if I'm honest.

For me here was the issues I had with the place:

- Teachers weren't that great, and although you're on a first-name terms with them, there's too many students for you get a 1:1 time with them. Plus if you do ever get 1:1, they don't turn up.

- They make you sign up to all these extra circulars, which look good, but when you're doing your A-Levels you're better off spending that time studying.

- Cramped! It was ridiculously hard to get down the corridors. Then the classrooms are small, yet they pack as many people in as they can. It's very uncomfortable.

- Teachers have been known to take long leaves off, meaning you have to learn by yourself.

I don't want this to sway your judgement entirely, since it has a good reputation. But seriously going for a look round when college is in session, or go to the welcome to college day if possible.

The main reason people go to King Eds is that they want the reputation. My friends who stayed there are really regretting their decision and want to move back to school sixth form or go to a different college. In terms of grades, my friends at sixth form seem to be outperforming my friends that went to King Eds, which is quite surprising but it's worth noting that.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for the advice, after going to the induction days of other colleges I've applied to I don't think I'm going to change my mind. Complete waste of time, no one really gave a s**t about individuals and everything was conducted terribly.

I'm not to fussed about the teachers since I do a lot of independent learning, I'll make my mind up after the induction day at kind Edwards
LittlePrincessXx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stourbridge College is not really the best but it's ok.
JodieRhoden
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LittlePrincessXx)
Stourbridge College is not really the best but it's ok.
How come? I’ve got to enrole soon and I’m really struggling to choose between King Edwards and Dudley sixth
Tattersky
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
King Eds in Stourbridge is not as good as it was due to government cuts in 16+ education, but it is still the best in Dudley aside from Old Swinford.
I would not worry, you will have a great time there I am sure.
JodieRhoden
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tattersky)
King Eds in Stourbridge is not as good as it was due to government cuts in 16+ education, but it is still the best in Dudley

aside from Old Swinford.
I would not worry, you will have a great time there I am sure.
Okay, thank you - do you think king eds would be the best option then?
Tattersky
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JodieRhoden)
Okay, thank you - do you think king eds would be the best option then?
I asked an ex-teacher from there if he would still recommend it. He thought for a few seconds and said yes.
Nowhere is perfect, but most have a positive time there.
Hello_itszme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know this was five years ago and was wondering if you ever went??? I go there now and leave in May and I cannot WAIT ! honestly the worst place of education ever and I can’t believe I didn’t have the power to drop out and go somewhere else when I could. Especially the art department. Since Bethan left they have employed the worst teacher . The college is more favourable towards students who are pro uni and leave the minority who want to choose a different path in the dark... basically the security is shambles (drug dealers being smuggled in) and weird things like people videoing other in the toilets doing oral sex 😭😭😭😂 just wanna know what went wrong cuz I though I would come here because it was a “good college”
lollypenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hello_itszme)
I know this was five years ago and was wondering if you ever went??? I go there now and leave in May and I cannot WAIT ! honestly the worst place of education ever and I can’t believe I didn’t have the power to drop out and go somewhere else when I could. Especially the art department. Since Bethan left they have employed the worst teacher . The college is more favourable towards students who are pro uni and leave the minority who want to choose a different path in the dark... basically the security is shambles (drug dealers being smuggled in) and weird things like people videoing other in the toilets doing oral sex 😭😭😭😂 just wanna know what went wrong cuz I though I would come here because it was a “good college”
i genuinely feel for youuuuu
I went to king Ed's for 3 months last year then moved colleges cause I hated it so much (I'm in year 13 now like you)
I went there cause I thought it was a good college but boy was I wrong
Hello_itszme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg no way!!! Hahaha so jellll you moved !
(Original post by lollypenguin)
i genuinely feel for youuuuu
I went to king Ed's for 3 months last year then moved colleges cause I hated it so much (I'm in year 13 now like you)
I went there cause I thought it was a good college but boy was I wrong
JodieRhoden
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’m currently a year 12 at king eds and I personally hate it. I’ve got a meeting tomorrow as I want to leave at Easter as I’m going to go to Dudley sixth in September and restart my Alevels. I don’t necessarily think the school is that bad, I just definitley picked the wrong A levels
Hello_itszme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awhh sorry to hear that! I would definitely recommend that you leave if you genuinely hate it because even though you only have a year left, it’s not worth it if your gonna be hating it everyday because it could effect you mentally like it did to me I know loads of people that go Dudley sixth and they love it so I hope you do too! Good Luck! Xxx
(Original post by JodieRhoden)
Hey, I’m currently a year 12 at king eds and I personally hate it. I’ve got a meeting tomorrow as I want to leave at Easter as I’m going to go to Dudley sixth in September and restart my Alevels. I don’t necessarily think the school is that bad, I just definitley picked the wrong A levels
JodieRhoden
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah thank you! I’m so sorry it was such a bad experience for you and I hope your exams go well just think it’s not long now till you can go onto something you actually enjoy x
Awhh sorry to hear that! I would definitely recommend that you leave if you genuinely hate it because even though you only have a year left, it’s not worth it if your gonna be hating it everyday because it could effect you mentally like it did to me I know loads of people that go Dudley sixth and they love it so I hope you do too! Good Luck! Xxx
Alishaa_266
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
does anyone in Y13 at king eds know if the internal AS mocks use past paper questions/questions from last years AS exams ?
SleepyGuy111
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Honestly I’ve been to king Ed’s and I really enjoy it. The freedom, the professional manner and the college campus itself has made me enjoy it so much that I think college has been the best part of my education yet. I’m not a A* sweater (rather an average student getting a BCD last term). I think the teachers are quite friendly and generally good but a lot of my lessons have been cancelled since I started last September. The new library is amazing , looks amazing and feels much more modern than it was. Stourbridge isn’t a too bad of a high street either to use on your breaks. I have a mix of lengths of days for example , 2:45 to 4 on Monday to 8:40 to 4 on Friday (with a 2 n half hour break in the middle). I do honestly think king Ed’s is a really good college for this area , my only negatives is the fact they make you go to form time and make you do a pointless enrichment which you get forced to do even if you don’t like it and it would be beneficial if the college had more indoor social areas as the ones they have are ALWAYS PACKED and you end up having to pay to eat in KFC or McDonald’s to get in the warm and sit indoors away from winter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads