The Student Room Group

question on order of prefence on ucas and personal statement

hi everyone, i was jut wondering if the order of preference of universities on ucas matters.

for example, I want to get into LSE or cambridge. If I put cambridge as my first choice, would that give me lower chances of getting into LSE?

Also, i want to study accounting and finance at LSE. However, cambridge only offers economics which i'm willing to study too. What would be the consequences if I wrote a personal statement that is a mix between the 2?
There is no such thing as an order of preference. In addition, the universities to which you apply do not see your other choices.
The order you put the choices on the UCAS site does not matter, and a university will not know what other universities you have applied to.

With your personal statement, have a look at this from the LSE website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/accounting.aspx

As LSE do not interview, they say that they put a lot of emphasis on the PS. As they can chose between a lot of candidates with excellent grades, a PS that focused mostly on economics would not impress and might cost you your place. This might also be an issue at your other three universities, depending on what courses you applied for at them. You don't sound that enthusiastic about economics, which might come across at interview at Cambridge and cost you the place.

You still have months to decide, and I guess open days to attend this summer, so I would suggest trying to decide on one route to focus on, in order to produce the best application possible.
Reply 3
No it doesn't matter what order you enter your choices in ucas, they get mixed up on track anyway for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by akwx
hi everyone, i was jut wondering if the order of preference of universities on ucas matters.

for example, I want to get into LSE or cambridge. If I put cambridge as my first choice, would that give me lower chances of getting into LSE?

Also, i want to study accounting and finance at LSE. However, cambridge only offers economics which i'm willing to study too. What would be the consequences if I wrote a personal statement that is a mix between the 2?

UCAS automatically puts your choices into alphabetical order.

And I can't see you being able to write a convincing enough personal statement for both courses- Cambridge can spot people who apply just because of the uni and not the course.
Apply for the course you want to study, not the university you think you want to go to. As others have said you don't pick an order of preference when you apply to universities and the universities can't see where else you have applied. However if you write about 2 separate courses in your PS you decrease your chances of getting into either of them, admissions tutors won't want someone who's only half heartedly interested in their subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending