Sex in the media and its effect on young children and society

Watch this thread
bevgrannell
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So, I'm writing an essay for college about the use of sex in the media and how that has an effect on young children, not just girls or boys, and society and was wondering if anyone had a view on it? Obviously I'm not just writing an essay to rip any woman or man who has dared to shed their clothes on TV or in a magazine, but I want to say how it can both negatively and positively affect children and society in general. Any input will be a huge help
The Lord
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I think the amount of sexual content in the media is very influential on young people. Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, and many other crap musicians fill their songs with sexual slurs and suggestive phrases, all encouraging promiscuity. While people are free to make their own choices, I don't think it's right that the media glorifies certain sexual morals that many people disagree with. I recall hearing a Rihanna song on the radio a while ago with a line in it that was 'when there's sex in the air I don't care about the smell of it' or something like that. I think stuff like that is harmful to society. I'm not religious but I think the human body is a precious thing and ought to be shared only with those with whom one is very close and in a relationship. For boys, it encourages an very disagreeable view that women are sexual objects and have an intrinsic duty to share their body with men. That's my view.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
About 150-200 years ago children where not seen as children in the modern sense.

They where made aware of the world and it's realities. There were laws protecting children from abuse etc, but in most working class families they were seen as less experienced adults. Thus not hidden from the world etc.

This view that sexual promiscuity is wrong is based on fairly new Victorian values. Previously to this, especially with the middle-upper classes it was perfectly acceptable to have a mistress etc. Even teenage pregnancies and single mothers where common, actually more so than they are today.

In my opinion this is just the continuation of Victorian morals fighting a return of sexual liberation. Inappropriate lyrics with hints towards sex and drugs have been around since the beginning of time. Listen to post 40's music and you'll hear suggestive things.
Comus
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DanB1991)
About 150-200 years ago children where not seen as children in the modern sense.

They where made aware of the world and it's realities. There were laws protecting children from abuse etc, but in most working class families they were seen as less experienced adults. Thus not hidden from the world etc.

This view that sexual promiscuity is wrong is based on fairly new Victorian values. Previously to this, especially with the middle-upper classes it was perfectly acceptable to have a mistress etc. Even teenage pregnancies and single mothers where common, actually more so than they are today.

In my opinion this is just the continuation of Victorian morals fighting a return of sexual liberation. Inappropriate lyrics with hints towards sex and drugs have been around since the beginning of time. Listen to post 40's music and you'll hear suggestive things.
Interestingly, as society has become more open about sex and sexual content the long term trend shows a decrease in the number of sex crimes. Not only but teen-pregnancies are decreasing, the number of abortions is decreasing and statistically "Generation Y" is having sex less frequently than previous generations. Obviously one must bear in mind that correlation is not causation. The reduction in teenage pregnancies and abortions can be put down to an increase in the availability of, and education about contraception. As to why there is a decrease in the frequency of sex amongst our generation is a little more complicated, though some have hypothesised the rise of electronic entertainment and smartphones.

With that said, I would agree that there has been a worrying re-emergence of social puritanism regarding sex, though this seems to be cyclical and hopefully should pass with time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads