*EXAM HELP THREAD* English Literature Section A - Struggle for Identity

Watch
Feathersong
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Soooo I am not terribly confident about the AQA English Literature Struggle For Identity exam, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

If there is anyone who took the exam last year or in a previous year who got a good grade and wants to offer help and advice, I think it would be really helpful for people like me who are starting to panic already!

First off, wider reading!! We've done loads of wider reading on racism, so if a Martin Luther King speech comes up again - or something similar - then I'll be verrrrry happy! I feel so unprepared on the topic of feminism though: has anyone got any good wider reading sources for it?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
LottiePert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can someone please inform me as to how many wider readings we are supposed to put in the first question!!! :mad:
LottiePert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In terms of feminism..
PROSE;
The Great Gatsby- F.Scott Fitzgerald
'she told me it was a girl so i turned away and wept'
The Color Purple- Alice Walker
POETRY;
Pygmalions Bride- CA Duffy
DRAMA;
Top Girls- Caryl Churchill
A Streetcar Named Desire- Tennessee Williams
A Dolls House- Heinrick Ibsen

There are plenty more but i think these are easiest,
and they all have strong contextual elements!
carissawilletts
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi can anyone tell me whether we 100% get the Feminine Gospels the anthology itself in the exam? Thanks
LottiePert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Owen Sheers poetry, but i know i certainly do get the text in the exam.
For this reason i am certain you should get your text in the exam as there would be no way for you to take one in so the only option is one to be provided :-)
SamCr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by carissawilletts)
Hi can anyone tell me whether we 100% get the Feminine Gospels the anthology itself in the exam? Thanks

It might be different for every school but last year I took this exam and our teacher provided us each with a blank copy of Feminine Gospels before we went into the exam. Good luck!
SamCr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LottiePert)
Can someone please inform me as to how many wider readings we are supposed to put in the first question!!! :mad:
Minimum is three; one prose, one drama and one poem.

From the exam paper itself: 'In your response to this section of the paper you must refer to your wider reading across all three genres (prose, poetry and drama).'
Evefrm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you quote Ibsen? 'A Doll's House' was written in the 19th century, this exam is based on 20th and 21st century writers - examiner's reports constantly criticise the use of non-modern texts.
LottiePert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
THE SPEC;
'The philosophy of the AS specification is to integrate
‘close’ and ‘wide’ reading of a range of texts between
1800 and the present day across different genres,
gender, culture, setting and place. The shared context
provides a meaningful overview for candidates of all
abilities.'
This is what it states in the spec. The only criticism in the reports of pre-19th century literature is that unless a student is thoroughly confident about their text they should not discuss it.
Purely because candidates do not give the contextual information needed for a top grade and therefor make their exam significantly harder.
oscarmason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how's everyone feeling for this?
Hayleighs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so so so nervous, anyone fancy sharing notes on feminine gospels?
oscarmason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://getrevising.co.uk/diagrams/fe...arol_ann_duffy

Useful for linking etc... I'm feeling quite confident for B, just go in with three poems you know really well and just try and link it to the thesis statement....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (30)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.52%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.71%

Watched Threads