Best vs. Worst Genre of Music

Watch
Nuclear Ghost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Electronic is the best. People put great effort and great skill into this, and it sounds amazing, whether you want a techno mix or a chillout atmosphere, this is the greatest genre of music.:cool:
Rap/Hip-hop are the worst. Autotuned, explicit, rythymless noise. :confused:
Add your favourite and least favourites music genres.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Electronic is the best, such skill involved and there's something for every mood, whether you want some thumping DNB (Noisia), chilled out dubstep (Burial) or just some big house tunes (Hardwell).

Death metal is the worst, bunch of mindless screaming and noise, can't understand how people can call it music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good music is good, bad music is bad. Genre doesn't matter.
Bible
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Favourite: I hate the word Indie but some of my favourite bands are under this name. Neutral Milk hotel, Bright Eyes, Keaton Henson...

Least Favourite: Probably Rap and/or R&B, can never tell them apart really, never want to listen to enough of it to be able to
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dance music has boomed since the rave scene in the 90s.I don't like R&B and rap and other **** like that
emilyyou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is Miley a genre now? Good God.

Worst: Rap - I can never understand it
Best: I like soul. Soul singers are usually very talented and don't require auto tuning..
Nuclear Ghost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by emilyyou)
Is Miley a genre now? Good God.

Worst: Rap - I can never understand it
Best: I like soul. Soul singers are usually very talented and don't require auto tuning..
I sincerely hope Miley isn't a genre. I think the forum title is suggesting that she's unique. Well, she is in the way that she's ruining music.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by majmuh24)
Electronic is the best, such skill involved and there's something for every mood, whether you want some thumping DNB (Noisia), chilled out dubstep (Burial) or just some big house tunes (Hardwell).

Death metal is the worst, bunch of mindless screaming and noise, can't understand how people can call it music.
You can't state that one of the reasons you like one genre of music is because of the skill involved then completely deride another genre that is, in my opinion, more technical (working together as a band is one example of why I think that, let alone the instrumentation involved).

Not liking the vocals? I'll give you that as DM vox aren't for everyone, but anyone who works as part of a band is more skilful than one person playing around with computer software IMHO. And I say this as someone who is quite fond of Burial and has a vague idea of how difficult it can be to actually use the aforementioned software, so I won't take it away from any electronic artists and say that anyone can do it because they can't.

Not gonna keep hatin' on you for this because I've got better things to be doing with my time than debating with someone over the Internet as to why x genre is better than y, but "mindless screaming"? I'll give you that some lyricists leave a bit to be desired when writing a song, but some song-writers put a lot of thought into their lyrics, regardless of how they are delivered.

"Again he'll find himself in silence and solitude,
again he'll rise from land of sadness,
again he'll begin to shine for your eyes.
Tears shall bear his inner beauty and noble soul
and his body will come into flower by gorgeous aura.

His eyes shall fill you by energy,
his eyes shall permeate behind your walls
and your strongholds shall crash.
You will stand before him in your nakedness and
maybe then for the first time you will see it yourself.

But do not be afraid,
his eyes shall purify you
and the iced hearts of yours shall suck the rays of his Sun.

...and you'll hear the beautiful voice
and the purest words - the unspoken ones,
you will comprehend real love
and awakened you'll weep...."

If these lyrics were sung in a comprehensible way then whoever wrote them would be hailed as modern day poets, but because they're delivered with the style of DM vocals they go largely ignored, which I think is a terrible shame. Oh well, more for me
Ndella
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I completely agree with you, electronic is the best

Metal on the other hand....
DCFCfan4eva
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fave: Metal
Least fave: Hip-hop
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best: Alternative rock/indie.
Worst: House.
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best: Music I like
Worst: Music I don't like
kingquang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most people who say Hip hop is the worst genre hasn't listen to anything else than radio-rap like Lil Wayne, Pitbull, Young Money Entertainment artists etc. Hip hop is not all about auto tune, sex, money and drugs, but a lot good hip hop out there is like modern poetry, artists such as MF Doom, Kendrick Lamar, Elzhi, Jedi Mind Tricks, Cunninlynguists, Brother Ali etc.

However, I would say that Noise or Harsh Wall Noise are the genres I like the least. Psychedelic folk, instrumental rock and electronica are my favourite genres.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best: Rock
Worst: Gospel
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Favourite: R&B/AltR&B
Least favourite: Trance.
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
best: rock
worst: commercial pop
TheDaylighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best: Reggae and Electronic
Worst: Pop
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only genre that is objectively bad is commercial pop music. Everything else is a matter of taste.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
You can't state that one of the reasons you like one genre of music is because of the skill involved then completely deride another genre that is, in my opinion, more technical (working together as a band is one example of why I think that, let alone the instrumentation involved).

Not liking the vocals? I'll give you that as DM vox aren't for everyone, but anyone who works as part of a band is more skilful than one person playing around with computer software IMHO. And I say this as someone who is quite fond of Burial and has a vague idea of how difficult it can be to actually use the aforementioned software, so I won't take it away from any electronic artists and say that anyone can do it because they can't.

Not gonna keep hatin' on you for this because I've got better things to be doing with my time than debating with someone over the Internet as to why x genre is better than y, but "mindless screaming"? I'll give you that some lyricists leave a bit to be desired when writing a song, but some song-writers put a lot of thought into their lyrics, regardless of how they are delivered.

"Again he'll find himself in silence and solitude,
again he'll rise from land of sadness,
again he'll begin to shine for your eyes.
Tears shall bear his inner beauty and noble soul
and his body will come into flower by gorgeous aura.

His eyes shall fill you by energy,
his eyes shall permeate behind your walls
and your strongholds shall crash.
You will stand before him in your nakedness and
maybe then for the first time you will see it yourself.

But do not be afraid,
his eyes shall purify you
and the iced hearts of yours shall suck the rays of his Sun.

...and you'll hear the beautiful voice
and the purest words - the unspoken ones,
you will comprehend real love
and awakened you'll weep...."

If these lyrics were sung in a comprehensible way then whoever wrote them would be hailed as modern day poets, but because they're delivered with the style of DM vocals they go largely ignored, which I think is a terrible shame. Oh well, more for me

you listening to that Christian rock again brah?
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best: Rock/Indie
Worst: Hmm... not sure Rap is the one I like least

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (848)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.29%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed