The Student Room Group

forced to go to church with the family

This is driving me crazy, dont know what to do, I really hate my parents for it, the only reason they have for me to go to church is because so the whole family attends, thhey dont even listen to the priest, and they also know im an atheist, and 18. I'm going to university in october and I wont have to to church while im there, but I will get forced to on holidays. We end up in arguments and I cant argue back much because they'l kick me out the house. But when I do say the reasons I should'nt go,or come up with arguments, they will reply" your going whether you like it or not", they reject every argument without consideration, i wish they would open their little minds, how ****ing stubborn!

What should I do?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would just go and be quiet, tbh. What's the worst that could happen? All you have to do is sit through a service. Are you worried you'll be involuntarily converted or something?
Reply 2
Listen to Cradle of Filth through your headphones. Loudly. They'll be so embarassed they'll never want you to go with them again.

Problem sorted.
Reply 3
Why do you dislike you parents so much you want to cause them grief? Why not just let them be until you leave home then be your own person. Its a soul destroying job working day in day out for EIGHTEEN YEARS supporting a family when your original dream was to travel round the world and write poetry. And now your beloved child just wants to act like an arse.
Really sorry to hear this, OP. I'm not too sure what to advise. At 18 you should be able to make your own decisions but if they're threatening to throw you out of the house... :dontknow:

:console:
Reply 5
Original post by FredOrJohn
Why do you dislike you parents so much you want to cause them grief? Why not just let them be until you leave home then be your own person. Its a soul destroying job working day in day out for EIGHTEEN YEARS supporting a family when your original dream was to travel round the world and write poetry. And now your beloved child just wants to act like an arse.

I suffocate in church when I see people doing pointless crap, it was my parents choice to have me and they knew they were going to get that soul destroying job, it would be much easier if they would just accept my views as I have accepted theirs, i've never tried to argue with my parents views until they forced me to go to church, and it's not just me who experiences this crap
So your parents want you to do one tedious thing for them, why not let it slide? Wear headphones or something.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by physics4ever
I suffocate in church when I see people doing pointless crap, it was my parents choice to have me and they knew they were going to get that soul destroying job, it would be much easier if they would just accept my views as I have accepted theirs, i've never tried to argue with my parents views until they forced me to go to church, and it's not just me who experiences this crap

you can't give them 45 minutes out of your life. Words fail me. What is the point.
I say respect your parents enough to go to church with them, even if you don't believe in it, do it for your parents. Its really not a big deal, it'll take an hour or so out of a day to make your parents happy. It's an hour, they've loved and raised you for 18 years.
Reply 9
Original post by may348
I would just go and be quiet, tbh. What's the worst that could happen? All you have to do is sit through a service. Are you worried you'll be involuntarily converted or something?

I find it hard to do all the pointless things you have to do, I know they are quite simple, but my mind isn't, I also have social problems because when I do all the pointless things my mind goes into a meltdown and it just doesnt feel right( this is also with normal social situations, like lying to people to make life easier)
you can't give them 45 minutes out of your life. Words fail me. What is the point.

How about being forced to watch Dawkins for a couple of hours every Sunday? You'd probably find it a waste of time especially over the course of 18 years

I find it hard to do all the pointless things you have to do, I know they are quite simple, but my mind isn't, I also have social problems because when I do all the pointless things my mind goes into a meltdown and it just doesnt feel right( this is also with normal social situations, like lying to people to make life easier)
Original post by AWJChadders
How about being forced to watch Dawkins for a couple of hours every Sunday? You'd probably find it a waste of time especially over the course of 18 years

Original post by Apologetic Cube
Muslim parents, how would you feel being dragged along to the Mosque every Friday to worship a god you didn't believe in? What it just be a matter of giving your parents forty-five minutes each week?

OK - I assumed church lasts about an hour. You then go for a walk over the park or downs. Have sunday lunch and talk about philosophy or politic, perhaps football or music. That would be your duty to your parents and then you do your own stuff. If they were Dawkinsists/Muslims I don't think that would be any different. You'd do your bit.
(edited 10 years ago)
oh sweet lordy jeezus

I can't tell if this is serious :rofl:

tumblr_mkjrotmAYB1r9ro8go1_500.jpg
Original post by Stephanie_12
I say respect your parents enough to go to church with them, even if you don't believe in it, do it for your parents. Its really not a big deal, it'll take an hour or so out of a day to make your parents happy. It's an hour, they've loved and raised you for 18 years.

no, dont you think its wrong that you go to church, and dont even listen, and then you make your son go, so that your friends can see your whole family is there(they actually told me I should go so everyone can see that our whole family is there) , when they had me they knew they were going to love and raise me for 18 years, but i'm ****ing 18! I should be able to make my own descisions
OK - I assumed church lasts about an hour. You then go for a walk over the park or downs. Have sunday lunch and talk about philosophy or politic, perhaps football or music. That would be your duty to your parents and then you do your own stuff. If they were Dawkinsists/Muslims I don't think that would be any different. You'd do your bit.

If I had children, I would never compel or prevent my children from attending a religious service. I wouldn't consider them pretending to believe exactly as I do a duty that they must fulfil. Church can last longer than an hour" when I used to go it was two hours long.

If I had children, I would never compel or prevent my children from attending a religious service. I wouldn't consider them pretending to believe exactly as I do a duty that they must fulfil. Church can last longer than an hour. When I used to go it was two hours long.
Reply 17
It's wrong they won't respect your own beliefs, but under threat of being kicked out (and assuming they're not really listening to you) I'd just go along with the ride. I know religion can be really frustrating when you don't believe in it, and it's appalling it's forced on people, but your hands are really tied in this situation.
Reply 18
Sleep through it.
Reply 19
[redacted]
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending