The Student Room Group

Importance of GCSE results for uni applications

I'm just wondering how important GCSE results are when applying to a university. Would I immediately get rejected by Oxford, for example, based on my GCSEs (5A*, 4A, 1B) or would it still be possible to get in with a really strong UCAS application?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Those GCSEs are perfectly able to get you into Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford will likely out more emphasis on them than Cambridge as Cambridge looks at your UMS for AS results whereas Oxford doesn't. No point thinking about it until you get your results in August for AS. Chill.
Reply 2
I second the first reply. You're just posting this because you expect a bloody response. The truly smart people don't brag about getting a place at Oxford, and they don't complain if they realise they're not smart enough to go there.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
I second the first reply. You're just posting this because you expect a bloody response. The truly smart people don't brag about getting a place at Oxford, and they don't complain if they realise they're not smart enough to go there.

I'm not posting this just for the sake of getting a response, nor am I complaining. I'm posting this because I'd like to know more about how important GCSE results are for uni applications, that's all.
Reply 4
Erm, I've heard people with just 1 A in gcse get into uni. So your a levels are a lot more important
Original post by shawn_o1
Erm, I've heard people with just 1 A in gcse get into uni. So your a levels are a lot more important

This thread is perfectly reasonable. Oxbridge is obviously not just a run of the mill uni.

OP, those grades are fine unless you're going for subjects like PPE/E&M/Medicine/maybe Law. Which subject are you applying for?

Remember: Oxford has admissions tests for a lot of its courses which are of great importance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Didn't get one A in my GCSE's and have a law offer from a top ten uni...
Depends on the subject you're applying for and the school you went to.
Unless you're applying for medicine then you have a chance. There's no way to tell how good or slim your chance will be til after AS results, and then other factors such as admissions tests are more important than GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending