The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Zander01
Prove it.

Anyway maradona ****s all over Zidane. If you're going to argue about defence then maradona played in Italy at a time when Italians were feared specifically for their defensive abilities

Defence was at its peak during R9 and Zidane's time.
You had Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Baresi, Thuram, Lucio, Lizerazu, Neville, Cannavaro and so many more. These guys are all legends. The only legendary defender during Maradona's time was Franz Beckenbauer.
Messi and Ronaldo play against very average defenders with amazing teams built around each of them.
Lol at including Baresi during R9 and zidanes time he was clearly during Maradona's time.
Beckenbauer was before Maradona too he finished his career in the early 80s maradona made his career mid 80s.

Tbh 2000-2010 you still had Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carvalho, Cole, Hyppia, Carragher, Evra in the premier league alone. Lucio was there at his best between 2000-2010 as well, as was Puyol, Pique(in late 2000s). C Ronaldo just went to Real and started going ham while a large majority of these players were there.

Matter of fact is that Ronaldo peaked during his Barca and Inter days and while he did ok at Madrid failed to hit the heights of his previous two clubs. It happens to many players so it's not a stick to beat him with.
Reply 182
Original post by jam277
Lol at including Baresi during R9 and zidanes time he was clearly during Maradona's time.
Beckenbauer was before Maradona too he finished his career in the early 80s maradona made his career mid 80s.

Tbh 2000-2010 you still had Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carvalho, Cole, Hyppia, Carragher, Evra in the premier league alone. Lucio was there at his best between 2000-2010 as well, as was Puyol, Pique(in late 2000s). C Ronaldo just went to Real and started going ham while a large majority of these players were there.

Matter of fact is that Ronaldo peaked during his Barca and Inter days and while he did ok at Madrid failed to hit the heights of his previous two clubs. It happens to many players so it's not a stick to beat him with.

1. Baresi did play during Zidane's time too, though not so much R9's.
2. R9 and Zidane also played between 2000-2010.
3. C. Ronaldo was no where near as prolific in the Premier League as he was in La Liga and he also went to Madrid in 2009, towards the decline of many of the defenders you listed and he went into an exceptional team that was literally built around C. Ronaldo, to support him.
4. R9 had just come back from a knee injury that doctors said would end his career. He still preformed well at Madrid though, but at Barca and Inter he was unstoppable.
Original post by 4Q18
1. Baresi did play during Zidane's time too, though not so much R9's.
2. R9 and Zidane also played between 2000-2010.
3. C. Ronaldo was no where near as prolific in the Premier League as he was in La Liga and he also went to Madrid in 2009, towards the decline of many of the defenders you listed and he went into an exceptional team that was literally built around C. Ronaldo, to support him.
4. R9 had just come back from a knee injury that doctors said would end his career. He still preformed well at Madrid though, but at Barca and Inter he was unstoppable.

1. Only a small bit during Zidanes time. But I agree that Zidane is a bit underrated because he wasn't a stat machine.
2. Yes they did play during then. Ronaldo had relatively average stats for a top striker after his Inter days compared to pre 2002.
3. C. Ronaldo did get 31 goals in 2007-08 so he was still capable of being relatively prolific, but again you'd attribute that he is in a stronger Madrid team than the United team. I wouldn't attribute it to weaker defences. Also C.Ronaldo played up top/wing in a 4-3-3 when United played 4-4-2 other seasons where he usually played deeper which explains his stats.
4. Yeah I agree. R9 was and still remains my top 2 favourite player to watch. Ronaldinho is first, Messi is third.
Reply 184
Original post by jam277
1. Only a small bit during Zidanes time. But I agree that Zidane is a bit underrated because he wasn't a stat machine.
2. Yes they did play during then. Ronaldo had relatively average stats for a top striker after his Inter days compared to pre 2002.
3. C. Ronaldo did get 31 goals in 2007-08 so he was still capable of being relatively prolific, but again you'd attribute that he is in a stronger Madrid team than the United team. I wouldn't attribute it to weaker defences. Also C.Ronaldo played up top/wing in a 4-3-3 when United played 4-4-2 other seasons where he usually played deeper which explains his stats.
4. Yeah I agree. R9 was and still remains my top 2 favourite player to watch. Ronaldinho is first, Messi is third.

I actually agree with the majority of this.
Cristiano Ronaldo!!!! But Messi or Ronaldinho... obviously Ronaldinho.
Reply 186
Its okay saying Ronaldinho was amazing because of his flair, which he was, incredible footballer. But, if you're a fan wanting your team to win, you want Messi in your starting XI not Ronaldinho. That settles the argument for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHOO
Just to add to my point:- Messi has had a lot more talent around him whilst being nurtured into the best. I know similar can be said about Ronaldinho but I think the Messi era barca side are a lot stronger than the Ronaldinho era barca side

One of the talents that help Messi grow was Ronaldinho. His former teammates all said Dinho was one of the biggest and main support he had especially since he was shy when he first came on the team so having arguably the best player on the team be your personal mentor did wonders for his growth.

Personal I feel the intensity, passion and play style for football players ain’t the same as it used to be. Messi came at a time where football was much more competitive compared to where it is now so he’s accustomed to the old ways so it would be easier for him to stand ahead of everyone else because players ain’t hungry like they used to be.

But that’s just my opinion

Latest