I am unemployed and feel worthless yet do not have motivation to work is this normal?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am unemployed and feel worthless yet do not have motivation to work is this normal? I have had work in the past for a few months but I randomly started crying at work on multiple occasions I don't know whether it was the stress of selling or what and left. Also does long term unemployment lead to mental health issues since I may have undiagnosed social anxiety issues. I can't walk in the city centre easily and sometimes I avoid it completely due to the crowds of people.
Nathanielle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am unemployed and feel worthless yet do not have motivation to work is this normal?
No, it isn't. Feeling worthless, you probably don't think, that work would change anything. Motivation is not that simple, especially if you have other issues. Anyway, you need to find something to occupy you, as unemployment leeds to not doing anything. A lot of people become really lazy as soon as unemployed and stop doing things, they enjoyed, no matter how cheap they were, e.g. go regualrly out for a walk. So pay attention to those common consequences without making them a genuinine part of you.

I have had work in the past for a few months but I randomly started crying at work on multiple occasions I don't know whether it was the stress of selling or what and left.
So you probably need to find out, what was causing that and/or find out, what would be better for you.

Also does long term unemployment lead to mental health issues since I may have undiagnosed social anxiety issues
Yes and no. Concerning you already starting crying at work randomly, it doesn't sound like your problems are only linked to unemployment and not anyone unemployed develops a mental health problem. Depression is very common, but otherwise ...
I can't walk in the city centre easily and sometimes I avoid it completely due to the crowds of people.
Then begin to do something against it. Unemployment gives you the freedom to take your time to adjust you to crowds, etc. Get help! Attack it, otherwise it is unlikely you will find a way out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed