The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

International Politics - too theory-based?

I'm planning to put KCL as my insurance choice, but I have technically already missed my firm conditional offer (Cambridge lol). So it is really important that my insurance is somewhere I am perfectly comfortable studying in.

For any current IP students, why is the curriculum so grounded in theory? I've taken a look at others (e.g. Durham) and they all have interesting modules like 'China after 1949' and 'The Israeli-Palestine Conflict' but this seems to be lacking in KCL.

Secondly, I am not interested in political economy at all. :frown:

I have other offers from Durham and SOAS, but I really want to make KCL my insurance due to the 'international prestige' factor + studying abroad opportunities. Can anyone vouch for its IP curriculum? :smile:
Reply 1
You could call KCL and ask to switch to IR which looks more interesting.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/structure/name/international-relations/alpha/GHI/header_search/
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks for the suggestion, but they said that it's out of the question! (Also, don't really want to do IR as BA, but setting it aside for my Masters) :smile:
Reply 3
An update for anyone who might be interested: a KCL representative replied to my email and said -

"Once enrolled on this programme, you will be given a choice of optional modules in your year 2 and year 3 to focus on your areas of interests. Also, you are free to choose modules that may be of interest to you from outside the department. It might be worth for you to also have a look at what optional modules some of the other departments in King’s are offering."

This is very comforting as I can now take modules from War Studies/IR :smile: Given this + a compulsory language course, KCL sounds about perfect now!

Quick Reply

Latest