Aaradhana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A sample of a radioactive element contains 1023 atoms. It is found that 3.5 x 1010 atoms decay in one day.

(a) Estimate the order of magnitude of the atoms that disintegrate in one second.
(b) What is the ratio of the original atoms to the atoms that remain after one day in orders of magnitude?

Since radioactive elements have a half life, don't I need that to find the answers?
Also, 3.5 x 1010 atoms will not always decay in one day right? the number will change as the sample halves and halves.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aaradhana)
A sample of a radioactive element contains 1023 atoms. It is found that 3.5 x 1010 atoms decay in one day.

(a) Estimate the order of magnitude of the atoms that disintegrate in one second.
(b) What is the ratio of the original atoms to the atoms that remain after one day in orders of magnitude?

Since radioactive elements have a half life, don't I need that to find the answers?
Also, 3.5 x 1010 atoms will not always decay in one day right? the number will change as the sample halves and halves.
This question has nothing to do with half life. It is to do with the decay in that particular day.

1) You know how many decay in a day, so how many secobds are there in a day.

2) How many atoms decay after this time, and how many are left. Find the ratio between the orders of magnitude of the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by majmuh24)
This question has nothing to do with half life. It is to do with the decay in that particular day.

1) You know how many decay in a day, so how many secobds are there in a day.

2) How many atoms decay after this time, and how many are left. Find the ratio between the orders of magnitude of the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The second one is obvious, but for the first one, the decay does not happen at a constant rate, right. So whatever answer we find for the number of atoms that disintegrate in a second, will only be an average and not the true answer, right?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aaradhana)
The second one is obvious, but for the first one, the decay does not happen at a constant rate, right. So whatever answer we find for the number of atoms that disintegrate in a second, will only be an average and not the true answer, right?
The activity of that substance is not going to change in one day*. So you just divide the disintegrations in one day by the number of seconds in a day.

* The half life is extremely long (Work it out!). The activity change in one day would be too small to measure.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
The activity of that substance is not going to change in one day*. So you just divide the disintegrations in one day by the number of seconds in a day.

* The half life is extremely long (Work it out!). The activity change in one day would be too small to measure.
Oh OK I see... wow I didn't think of that! Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (129)
29.52%

Watched Threads