The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Gap Year??

Have got a conditional offer for Interpol, and took the entrance exam, and have been on an applicant day - so pretty sure Aber is my first choice. Haven't firmed it up on Ucas yet, but am now thinking about taking a gap year.

Will probably email the uni, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, wisdom in this area!
Can I still confirm Aber as my firm choice and wait till results day to finally decide or do you have to commit to a year out before that?
I'm thinking that getting some work experience, extra dosh would come in useful, but I haven't got any firm plans. Also it would be nice to have break from studying:rolleyes:
Reply 1
Gap years are great, I think everyone should do them :smile:

E-mail the uni and see if you can defer your place.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by patpending
Have got a conditional offer for Interpol, and took the entrance exam, and have been on an applicant day - so pretty sure Aber is my first choice. Haven't firmed it up on Ucas yet, but am now thinking about taking a gap year.

Will probably email the uni, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, wisdom in this area!
Can I still confirm Aber as my firm choice and wait till results day to finally decide or do you have to commit to a year out before that?
I'm thinking that getting some work experience, extra dosh would come in useful, but I haven't got any firm plans. Also it would be nice to have break from studying:rolleyes:

Hi Patpending,

First of all I think doing a GAP year can be an extremely rewarding thing to do. I did one myself before going to university. The reasons for me were pretty similar to you: needed a break, wanted to get some work experience and save cash for uni. So if it's something you think would help you before going to uni then I would say go for it.

It's absolutely fine for you to wait for the A-Level results day before deciding to do a GAP year. Make Aberystwyth University firm on UCAS and then email [email protected] regarding the GAP year.

I hope that helps,
James :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Aber_James
Hi Patpending,

First of all I think doing a GAP year can be an extremely rewarding thing to do. I did one myself before going to university. The reasons for me were pretty similar to you: needed a break, wanted to get some work experience and save cash for uni. So if it's something you think would help you before going to uni then I would say go for it.

It's absolutely fine for you to wait for the A-Level results day before deciding to do a GAP year. Make Aberystwyth University firm on UCAS and then email [email protected] regarding the GAP year.

I hope that helps,
James :smile:

Thanks, that's really helpful.
Will need to put some thought into exactly what I'm going to do though if I'm going to convince parents its a good idea.
My track record on finding work hasn't been that great :colondollar:
Will need to put some thought into exactly what I'm going to do though if I'm going to convince parents its a good idea.

haha! Yes I agree convincing the parents is sometimes a challenge! I ended up working in a local warehouse for 4 months, spent another 6 months travelling the Middle East and then the final 2 months chilling at home "preparing for uni" :P haha.

I think as long as you don't just waste a year doing nothing and that you can put together some sort of plan on what you want to achieve you'll be fine. I just Googled "Tips for GAP years" and found this: http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/top-10-tips-for-planning-your-gap-year-7722993.html - it may be of use :smile:

exciting times! I'm super jealous! haha

Original post by Aber_James
~

Gap years are awesome if the fit is right for the person. Some people like to go straight into their studies and get it 'over and done with', other like James like to split it up and go off on an adventure somewhere or even just stay at home and work full time for a year.

For lots of real life experiences take a read through some threads in our Gap Years forum found here and our Gap Year guides found here.

In the Gap Years forum you'll find loads of people in the same situation as yourself with unconvinced parents. Read through some of the awesome posts and see if taking a year out to go travelling or similar is something for you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest