username1320377
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am really confused as I have had little help from my teacher!
Right, with this coursework we have to find our own sources and footnote them, but on a sheet my teacher gave me it says I need to EVALUATE the sources; so how usefull they are, are they limited. But, do I need to evaluate the sources in the actual body of my answer (max 2000 words) or evaluate them in the bibliography? I really don't know! The deadline is next week and I need to get it finished and correctly!

THANKYOU in advance guys!
rali
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel your pain, History coursework is not fun, I just finished mine! Out of interest, which exam board are you doing?

Evaluating the sources has to be done in the main body of your essay. Evaluating just means using the analysis of the source to find out how useful and valid the source is using your own knowledge from history. Footnoting and bibliography is just there to tell the reader where your sources come from.

Do you know how to footnote and write a bibliography?
username1320377
Rep:
?
(Original post by rali)
I feel your pain, History coursework is not fun, I just finished mine! Out of interest, which exam board are you doing?

Evaluating the sources has to be done in the main body of your essay. Evaluating just means using the analysis of the source to find out how useful and valid the source is using your own knowledge from history. Footnoting and bibliography is just there to tell the reader where your sources come from.

Do you know how to footnote and write a bibliography?
I know this is horrendous and I am way way way behind. Le cry.

I am with OCR I believe. Yes OCR.

That is extra stress. So I footnote it (I think I know how to do this) and then say whether it is useful/limited using my own knowledge? Does it have to be a lot or maybe one sentence? My teacher has been on holiday and he is only in one day a week, which is why I am so behind.

I am not so sure how to write the bibliography as well.

What is my life lol?
rali
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jennywbu)
I know this is horrendous and I am way way way behind. Le cry.

I am with OCR I believe. Yes OCR.

That is extra stress. So I footnote it (I think I know how to do this) and then say whether it is useful/limited using my own knowledge? Does it have to be a lot or maybe one sentence? My teacher has been on holiday and he is only in one day a week, which is why I am so behind.

I am not so sure how to write the bibliography as well.

What is my life lol?
OCR?! I'm so sorry :'(

Yes, so when you quote the source, you footnote it and write the author/ title of book/ publisher/ date and page number.

At A2 evaluation is a huge part of the essay, so aim to do as much evaluation as possible.

So for example, you've been writing about a source, analysing it etc. Let's imagine your essay is about Nazi Germany. So your evaluation could be something like this "This source is useful in that it is a first-hand account from someone who was a member of a Nazi Resistance Group. Furthermore, the title of the book implies that these were very important years of his life and that defiance of the Nazis was very important to him. However, the fact that it was published so much later could denote that the author has altered his memory due to changing contemporary views; he would not want to be seen as an avid supporter of the Nazis. Overall, however, this is a useful source because it shows that resistance to the Nazis did exist and it had a large affect on young people in Germany"

Obviously that's just an example, but it shows all the different parts of the source you need to look at when evaluating it.

Bibliography is easy, You just need to write out every book you've used in the following format:

Authror's Surname, Author's Firstname, Title of Book, Publisher, (Date)

Hope this helped! Good luck!
username1320377
Rep:
?
(Original post by rali)
OCR?! I'm so sorry :'(

Yes, so when you quote the source, you footnote it and write the author/ title of book/ publisher/ date and page number.

At A2 evaluation is a huge part of the essay, so aim to do as much evaluation as possible.

So for example, you've been writing about a source, analysing it etc. Let's imagine your essay is about Nazi Germany. So your evaluation could be something like this "This source is useful in that it is a first-hand account from someone who was a member of a Nazi Resistance Group. Furthermore, the title of the book implies that these were very important years of his life and that defiance of the Nazis was very important to him. However, the fact that it was published so much later could denote that the author has altered his memory due to changing contemporary views; he would not want to be seen as an avid supporter of the Nazis. Overall, however, this is a useful source because it shows that resistance to the Nazis did exist and it had a large affect on young people in Germany"

Obviously that's just an example, but it shows all the different parts of the source you need to look at when evaluating it.

Bibliography is easy, You just need to write out every book you've used in the following format:

Authror's Surname, Author's Firstname, Title of Book, Publisher, (Date)

Hope this helped! Good luck!
I know right!

Ah you are a life saver! THANKYOU LOADS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads